Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Cool places in Maui

Pages: 1 20 replies

Hey everyone I am getting married in Maui next Monday (the 23d) and will be spending the whole week there. I would like some recommendations for some of the non touristy and cooler touristy places in Maui to hang out have a few good cocktails and enjoy the tiki culture. I promise to post pics when I get back.

Congratulations!

Here is Dogbytes 2006 Maui Vacation:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18793&forum=16

Ookoo Lady's post includes a photo of the larger than life Ku at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19939&forum=16&hilite=Maui

Thank you for all the info!!!!!!

P

Not so much for the tiki (though the place has a few), but for a great bar, bar food, and a view of one of the most beautiful bays in Hawaii...head up north just a tad from Kaanapali to Napili Bay and the Napili Kai Resort's "Whale Watcher Bar." Just fantastic! Great drinks (especially if made by Darlene). The foccacia steak sandwich with melted swiss and Maui onions is to die for!

You can preview the view at the Napili Kai's web site where they have a live webcam of the view:

http://www.napilikai.com

(click on "Video" and then scroll down to "Webcam")

Napili Bay is sorta a throwback to the 1960's era of Maui. Calm and crystal clear bay, good snorkeling, uncrowded. Just heaven!

Down South at Kihei there's the South Shore Tiki Lounge, that's small but nice and they have a great Kahlua Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwich.

http://www.southshoretikilounge.com/
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14198&forum=2

And further down South at the "Shops at Wailea" is a Tommy Bahama's Cafe and Bar that's very nice.

Enjoy!

We will be at Kapaula Beach right next door to the Napili Kai for our wedding! I hope we get a chance to stop in for a drink before dinner at the Plantation House. Thanx PremEx!

Aloha lovevw181,

My little Ohana stayed at a condo resort in Napili Bay on the opposite side of the beach from the Napili Kai. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the place where we stayed right now. Maybe it's the one you are getting married at. Whatever the case, you can't go wrong. Here are some teaser pics of the incredible view from the beach. The Napili Kai is straight across on the other side of this small bay in the first shot. There is a really excellent restaurant right down there on the beach in the middle of the shot.

You will love it there. The thing about Napili is that it will rain at the drop of a hat, then clear up the next minute. When it's coming own there, you can drive to Ka'anapali 10 minutes down the road and the weather is totally different. Have an awesome wedding and honeymoon! Thanks for making me think about Napili!!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua 2006-10-22 22:18 ]

P

On 2006-10-19 20:55, Aaron's Akua wrote:
There is a really excellent restaurant right down there on the beach in the middle of the shot.

That would be the "Sea House Restaurant" at the Napili Kai Resort. The "Whale Watcher Bar" I mentioned above, is the bar portion of that restaurant. I agree it's really excellent and a hidden gem from most tourists.

We're thinking of going to Maui next year. Any other stops worthwhile on the islands? Maui sounds like the place, but I wouldn't mind sampling other spots. I am deathly afraid of small planes, though.

On 2006-10-20 07:39, aikiman44 wrote:
We're thinking of going to Maui next year. Any other stops worthwhile on the islands? Maui sounds like the place, but I wouldn't mind sampling other spots. I am deathly afraid of small planes, though.

Depends what you are looking for.

Only Molokai requires a small plane.

Waikiki - very commercial, but lots to do, including historical Honolulu and the Bishop Museum. Waikiki is generally the cheapest Hawaiian trip. North Shore is about an hour drive - worth it for the Dole Plantation and/or the fun Polynesian Cultural Center, and all of its hula and tikis.

North Shore Oahu - Turtle Bay is expensive, but the bungalows are worth every penny.

Maui - Kaanapali - very nice beach, and not as crowded as Waikiki. There is the Whaler's Museum and tourist trap Lahania town nearby. The Old Lahania Luau is rumoured to be the best and most Hawaiian.

Kauai - the North Shore and South shore have less tourism. More tourist development on the Coconut Coast. More laid back and calm. Beautiful gardens exist to visit.

Big Island - "Big" is an understatement. Lots of driving on desertlike highways.
Most hotels do not have beaches nearby, only volcanic coastline. However, how often do you get to visit a Volcano (Don't take any with you - Pele may become cross) or the Place of Refuge, one of the few places where original (OK copies of original) tikis remain.

Napili is the area to stay on Maui!! We arrive for our annual vacation in a few weeks, and have booked the same condo at the Honokeana Cove Condo Resort. This will be our 4th year in a row staying in Napili. Honokeana is just around the south bend of Napili Bay. We stay at Honokeana because it is built around a rocky cove full of sea turtles, fish and coral. Though there is no beachfront at Honokeana, Napili Beach is a 5 minute walk away. The snorkeling in Honokeana is prime. When we want to get beach sand in our shorts, we trek to Napili Beach, and when we want to swim with the turtles and fish, we stay at Honokeana. If you stay at any of the hotels on Napili Beach, be sure to venture over the lava rocks on the southside of the beach, to the small cove and check out the water creatures!

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!!! On October 23rd 2006 at 515p I got married to the most wonderful guy a tiki girl could ever wish for!!!! It had misted off and on all day but by the time for the wedding rolled around the weather cleared up and was perfect. Saw a rainbow that morning and my hairdresser said that it was a sign of good luck. Maui was incredible over all. I could not have asked for a more perfect place to get married and hang out with friends for the week. Did some snorkeling in Honolua Bay, Kapalua Beach and Ka'anapali Beach. Went to the aquarium at the Maui Ocean center and did the Feast at Lele. I hated coming back to the desert after spending a week in paradise! I will post pics very soon.
Thank you again,
Michelle and Anthony Naturale

Congratulations to both of you. What a great place to get married. I'm pretty fond of Napli just from visting once or twice. For you two, it will be a great place to return for romantic vacations on down the road. Looking forward to the pictures.

Cheers!

WoooHooo! Congratulations!!!

S

Congrats lovevw!

I caught this post today as we areleaving for Maui tomorrow. Glad you enjoyed your time there. What a wonderful place to get married. The Stentiki's have also stayed at the Napili Kai and give Napili Bay a big shaka too!

Less than 24 hours to go! :tiki:

Aloha,

Arty

[ Edited by: stentiki 2006-11-15 16:58 ]

New pics of Napili bay from just last week. Our favorite place, Napili Shores, was completely booked so we stayed next door at the Napili Surf. Really nice place, friendly staff.

Like the rest of Maui, lots of new construction is going on just down the road.
Note the big cranes on the horizon just past the Napili Kai.

Maui is beginning to get a bit crowded for my taste, but I still love Napili.

Congratulation to both of you..

Kevin
http://jewelrypiece.blogtopia.com

Although not necessarily tiki, I must show the love for Hula Grill in Ka'anapali, which is a great toes in the sand resturant, with Hula shows nightly.

Hai....lovevw181..Congratulations for your next coming marrird.....Your all problems are solved to click on signature link...thanks

Thinking you're talking about the Barefoot Bar located outside of the Hula Grill?

Rex

On 2008-05-15 16:42, christiki295 wrote:
Although not necessarily tiki, I must show the love for Hula Grill in Ka'anapali, which is a great toes in the sand resturant, with Hula shows nightly.

I know this is an older thread but the place to eat in Lahaina is at a place called Mixed Plate right next to the Old Lahaina Luau at the end of Front St. Ono grindz plus super cheap! I still think about that food a year later.

Aloha nui Loa

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2008-07-23 13:18 ]

Pages: 1 20 replies