Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Building my own Lounge

Pages: 1 16 replies

Hey all,

It's been my dream for a long damn time to convert my basement into a Tiki Lounge. Does anyone have any tips or info for me? Like any interesting sites or books that can help me pick out a scheme, or where I can get the building supplies to do so. I mean, where the heck do you get bamboo?

Any info will be helpful. I don't really have any building experience, just enthusiastic friends and a need to have my own awesome place.

If bamboo grows in Minnesota I'll bet you whoever has a good bunch of wrist-sized pieces will give them to you for removing it. Stop and ask if you see it. Also, Home Depot has some nice reed fencing that makes a fine wall cover you can trim with bamboo and is very reasonable, like 20.00 for a 6 x 15 foot roll. There are lots of talented carvers on this board to get a big tiki or two from as well...Gecko comes to mind and is quite reasonable. For starters you could get some of the Archie Mcphee blow molded wall hangers that look pretty cool. Best yet go to a Trader Vic's and take notes. for suppliers: http://www.konakai.com/

T

If you find bamboo growing in Minnesota, look for a star in the East because surely a miracle has occurred! Home Depot in Canada does not sell any bamboo or reed fencing, and I think the situation would be the same in Minnesota too. Since it can't be cheaply brought in locally, I doubt they would have it. Sorry to be such a party pooper! Bamboo can still be found, just not at rock bottom prices. AS for building tips, a great book on the subject is called PAD but I don't know the author off the top of my head. Also many others in this forum have listed building tips - just use the search engine for 'home bars' or 'building'. Aloha!

BambooBen?

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-01-01 10:34 ]

i am sure there are plant/garden stores around that have bamboo fencing. home depot or any large chain can get it if you ask. its the cheapest way of covering the walls and is a good start for an overhang along with reg bamboo and some twine/string.i did half my kitchen for $40!.

I saw bamboo fencing panels at Ikea and they were cheap. They were like 5 foot high and had maybe 30 bamboo pieces tied together.

D

On 2003-01-01 01:11, TikiTorchGawd wrote:
Hey all,

I mean, where the heck do you get bamboo?

Any info will be helpful. I don't really have any building experience, just enthusiastic friends and a need to have my own awesome place.

i also have a room to decorate ~ i've not started yet, but i've got a few places on the net i've bookmarked to drool over:

http://www.melinamade.com/ (cool wallpaper and fabric)

http://www.bamboobridge.com/index.htm (ideas galore)

just because you're in minnesota, doesnt mean there isnt bamboo for sale somewhere... i just found a cool place here in seattle! just google!

elicia

H

dogbytes -- what's your Seattle bamboo source?

Now Humuhumu could teach us all a few things about tiki rooms...did I ever mention that room is GREAT?

H

Aw, geez, now you're making me blush. :oops: That really means something coming from you, Basement Kahuna.

My room actually doesn't have a single shred of bamboo in it, which I think is a real shortcoming. I have a hard time figuring out where I'd put it though... I think I'm going to have to start decorating the Humuhumu Hallway....

The best tiki bar is the one that's within stumbling distance of your bed
The Humuhumu Room

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2003-01-01 23:46 ]

D

seattle bamboo:
http://www.bamboohardwoods.com/index.html
i went to the showroom on Industrial Way ~ they've got timbers, gazebos, matting.. i was overwhelmed. oooh and flooring.. a great place (although its a warehouse and freezing cold!)

i've got to measure out my space..and figure what to do (oh i'll probably end up buying something from BambooBen and have it shipped ~ cuz im not very handy!)

elicia
ps: i LOVE seattle.. absolutely love it!

J

Bamboo Hardwoods is also a great source of thatch - I got mine from them at reasonable cost and they look great!!

:drink:

Hey, Thanks alot for the great ideas guys! Keep em coming. There's some good looking books on this site I've gotta get a hold of too.

D

[ Edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:28 ]

good luck

Hey,

I know I'm probably pointing out the existance of sand to a cactus here, but I recently got the catalog Archie McPhee and that's got some really awesome stuff in it. Only a couple pages of Tiki, but a good amount of Lounge and other pop culture swag.

They've got a site. Check it out!
http://www.mcphee.com

T

BAMBOO HUNTERS ! You can find Bamboo at your local Home depot in the garden department! also there are several sites in alabama that ship to your door I create custom Tiki Bar signs and i get my Bamboo here! they are honest and ship really fast!www.jmbamboo.com

Pages: 1 16 replies