Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

munktiki knock offs

Pages: 1 28 replies

N

Found these on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Unusual-Tiki-Mug-Vase-Monkey_W0QQitemZ180040959926QQihZ008QQcategoryZ29460QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180040959926

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Unusual-Tiki-Mug-Vase_W0QQitemZ180040961265QQihZ008QQcategoryZ29460QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180040961265

I contacted Munktiki and they had this to say:

"Thanks for the headsup. Unfortunately since they arent stating its made by Munktiki I dont think there is anything we can do.

Thats the price you pay importing from china. We were planing on having those imported along with the El Bastardos and U bastards but they never got the quality to where we wanted it."

-stuckie

BID AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION!!!

R

You would think Muntiki could copyright (or claim copyright to) an image, certainly other works of art can't be just knocked off and sold on eBay legally. Maybe it should be reported to eBay, they have a tendancy to knock off listings for even a chance that it is a copyright infringment. :evil: :lol:

Yeah, that really sucks. Blatant theft of someone else's artwork should be rewarded with multiple bamboo slivers slid under the fingernails.

S
squid posted on Thu, Oct 19, 2006 9:08 PM

YES. REPORT, REPORT and REPORT AGAIN to eBAy. That work is Stuckie's no matter what it says on the bootleg product. The moment he creates it, it is his copyrighted design. He has proof of first publication with the release of his legitimate version, even if it's not registered with the US Gov't. Although damn near impossible to ever get any monetary compensation from the theiving bastards, at least their outlet can be shut down and discourage them from making more.

Those mugs were sold to a huge discount outlet in Canada. Sold directly from the factory that produced the 2 imports that we actually did have made. We were compensated for their violation. I'm sure this is a second hand seller in no way related to the department store that originally sold them. Even still a second hand seller selling a copyright infringing item is no good, but according to ebays policies it has to be claiming its the brand name in order for them to terminate the auction.

-stuckie

I saw that listing and thought they looked "funny". I wonder if these mugs will someday become as collectible as the originals because of the "cheese" factor. Kind of like the star wars figure rip offs from other countries with funny backings........just a thought. Really though, that does suck for the munktiki crew cause as artists those creations are yours. At least we at tiki central know the truth.
Peace.

That's what you get for dealing with the commies.

T

these mug-rip-offs have no souls .

edited for not being tiki

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2006-10-20 13:38 ]

S

Hey Stuckie, As long as you've dealt with the factory on this, cool. I was just lookin out for ya. I've had my mug designs ripped for graphics from stickers to boogie boards where you can do absolutely nothing about it. Keep up the good work.

And really, do we need to do ethnic slams here? It just ain't tiki.

T

:)

This is another situation where I feel both SAD :cry: and ANGRY! :x
After all the love and good mojo I've received from the TC Ohana to see someone out there copying another's creative efforts for their profit.....Ooooooh!
Dr.TikiMojo gonna whip up a whole can of BAD MOJO WHOOP ASS :evil: and send it their way!

What really sucks is when a large corporation rips off your designs. Its next to impossible to get a cease and desist letter into the right persons hands unless you want to pay $$$$ lots of cash $$$$ to have a lawyer do it for you. Which for all you know will never be received either. As I'm sure some of you will remember, Bratz stole 3 of our designs. They were exact replicas, but after wasting a whole day trying to find a place to send a letter and talking to a lawyer who wanted to charge me $1,000 just to send a letter, I gave up.
Its all pretty aggravating though on the amount of time you have to put into this stuff, which in the end all equates to loss of income.

N

BRATZ, like the "toy", WTF? What did they rip?

T

with those Braatz, did Munktiki happen to get ahold of any just to add to the wierd stuff that people do file.

On 2006-10-20 12:07, pappythesailor wrote:
That's what you get for dealing with the commies.

Eggs actly!! If you have it made in China or other than America (or your native country) then you will likely have your item sold (on the side) with out your consent to others. Usually perfectly legal(except to original country or origen). It is China ya know.
It happens in many industries. Medication, Bicycles, cigtarettes, gloves, handbags, jewelry. If you think it is cheaper to have it manufactured in China there is a good reason. They will undercut you!

EDIT: His "Vintage Unusual Tiki Mug Vase " looks exactly like my two "El Bastardos" I bought for $12 (I think it was 12) at Freak Factory. He still has them too.

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2006-10-20 20:44 ]

T

Well, at least these knock-offs are not the same mug cause they're not the same quality as a Munktiki mug. But, the Monkey mug is actually selling for a lot more a Munktiki mug. Go fugure, its the color thats doing it.

Found some new bootlegs on eBay. Mine are all marked on the bottom. Be careful out there and don't buy fakes!

Seller: chestnut-antiques
Item numbers-
161285282284 & 151287242085

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151287242085?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161285282284?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I remember this being talked about in this thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11346&forum=5&33

And I too was surprised to see these knock-offs on ebay. This ebay seller may or may not have picked these up at a Zeller's themselves, but it is interesting to note that these mugs originally sold for about $4 Canadian each when I first came across them.

S

Although i'm not Munktiki, extremely far from it actually, i can now say that i have the 'honour' of having my work knocked off too.
The mug on the left, General Ra Ra V.2 (dark background), is my very first mug design from 2011. The mug on the right is something a friend found a picture of and asked if it was one of mine. I told him that it wasn't but i know exactly why he asked. I'm sure he and i are not the only ones to see some uncanny similarities. Anyone else agree?

The company is in Greece? and make ceramics including a line of 'tiki mugs'. There is another that looks like Munktiki's She Skull and another that reminds me of the the Happy Cannibal mug by Tiki Farm and Atomic Tony Tiki.

That is crazy! Did you ever think that you would get bootlegged? Obviously the whole wide world thinks that they are great and marketable.

I gotta get me some of those Swizzle mugs :)

EJ

Look pretty similar to me. Sorry to see that happen to you.

T

On 2014-10-08 20:06, swizzle wrote:
Although i'm not Munktiki, extremely far from it actually,

Not Munktiki, eh?

:wink:

S

Not in a million years lunavideogames. And if you want some mugs, you know where to find me.

Thanks El Jefe.

Haha tikigreg, nice one. I must agree, there are a few features on my mug that are very similar to the Munktiki mug you posted, but i assure that is purely coincidental.

Actually I contacted one of them and he took his auction down. I guess there are still good people out there. :)

S

I received a PM from Atomic Tony Tiki last night asking me for the link to the site where i saw the mugs that appear to be rip-offs of his mug, mine and Munktiki's. Sadly i never saved the name or page of the company but after doing a little 'Googling' i surprisingly found it quite quickly.

Here's a link to their site and the following link is to their 2015-16 catalogue.

http://www.hakahceramics.com/

http://www.hakahceramics.com/HAKAH_TIKI_PRODUCT_CATALOGUE_2016_EN_2.pdf

They still appear to making the mug that i believe is a copy of mine which is the first one that shows up on page 4. (Must say, i quite like the Oil Green glaze. :lol: ). Page 7 is the one that reminds me of Atomic Tony Tiki's mug. Page 9 looks like a rip-off of Munktiki's She Skull and 'Woo' on page 20 kinda looks like one of Jerk Kustoms designs, at least to me it does. (Although i could be thinking of something else but it certainly looks familiar).
Several of the other 'designs' also look like copies of other mugs by Tiki Farm but i can't quite put my finger on which mug/s exactly they are stealing their ideas from, page 13 and 14 especially.

Can anyone else see the similarities that i can and point out what mugs they are supposed to be a copy of?

A homage rather than a straight knock-off like the Deuce (spit) version of my Mana Mana mug.

What annoys me is, if they liked my work enough to copy it why didn't they just get in contact and ask me to design a unique mug for them?

R

All of their mugs are hideous!!

Pages: 1 28 replies