Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sold some stuff at the Hukilau - Registered at Tiki Central

Pages: 1 8 replies

An artist buddy of mine that does some shows back here in Texas with me convinced me that I should drive 22 hours to the Hukilau and haul some pinstriped trays and suitcases that I usually hock at car shows while I am striping - what a great trip it turned out to be. I love all things old and funky and I am a collector of everything that falls into that category. I had no idea that Tiki could go to this level until I experienced the Hukilau - what a great experience - we will be back next year with some more tiki art from CRASH and some more pinstriping by myself and vintage shirts from Boo. The Texas Tiki connection is in full karmic swing with the Tiki soul we tasted in Florida. Thanks to everyone that puts that show together and to all the people who attended and especially to those who bought stuff from us. I am glad to be here.

Peace N Tiki Grease,

-JD

Welome to TC TX Tiki Striper. You can have a lot of fun here.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Oct 19, 2006 7:19 PM

Good to hear mate, and welcome to TC. How about some pics eh? :)

Yeah! More Texans! I'm seeing a big Tiki gathering in our future...

I didn't get to meet you but I'm pals with Crash and yall kindly brought our Lake Surfer tiki back home to Tejas...Boo brought it to San Antonio. Much obliged to yall for hauling our newest family member home!

[ Edited by: heelgrinder 2006-10-20 07:49 ]

Thats some fine striping. Will you guys be at VLV?

And is it me, or is there a lot more crossover between the tiki and greaser/rockabilly cultures lately?

On 2006-10-20 08:32, Daves Not Home wrote:

And is it me, or is there a lot more crossover between the tiki and greaser/rockabilly cultures lately?

This is something that I have always said. My fondess of tiki comes from my long time love of hotrod culture. I saw some carvings displayed at the rockabilly rod reunion and tonnes of tiki striping on cars.

On 2006-10-20 12:37, rodeotiki wrote:

On 2006-10-20 08:32, Daves Not Home wrote:

This is something that I have always said. My fondess of tiki comes from my long time love of hotrod culture. I saw some carvings displayed at the rockabilly rod reunion and tonnes of tiki striping on cars.

Hey Rodeo, are you talking about the Rod Reunion in Vegas? I didnt make it to the car show but was at Sams Town later. Will you be making it to Viva? You probably also saw my friends from Greaser Alley with tons of pinstriping...

Aloha! You guys were among my favorite vendors and good neighbors to boot (or to Lucky Lou for a more stylish choice).

HC

those were one of the more impressive and innovative displays I saw there...I had a brief conversation about how in the course if my collectibles dealings I've always loved and scooped up cool looking luggage and trunks at sales and auctions....the 40's thru 70's stuff make a fine "canvass" for the Tiki look.....being a "motor head" added to my appreciation of your art .......next time I'm gonna have to find a box so I can buy and take some on our flight home (our carry on bags were ALL mugs and tiki stuff this time!) ironic that I've been refinishing Antique trunks for over 35 years.....and they were meant to be bashed about originally....but now old utilitarian is the base of art .......I'm starting to wander!.......anyway great work!

Pages: 1 8 replies