Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

I've fallen (behind) and I can't catch up!

Pages: 1 5 replies

M

Spend a week away fron Tiki Central and I miss out on the Ohana Hut. Read the Collecting Tiki thread and miss out on new mugs talked about in the general category.

Crazy Al comes out with some cool mugs and they sell out before I know about them. And when did MunkTiki start selling ceramic Coconut Monkeys? Gecko makes the coolest mugs I've ever seen, but at $100+ I can't afford them.

Is it just me or are others out there overwhelmed with so much Tiki going on? A year ago I was happy with my collection and it seemed I could get the new mugs before they sold out. A few of the eBay Munktiki mugs were out of my reach at $45. But I still bought the ones I really liked.

I remember the days where I could read Every new TC post at the end of my work day. Now I'm lucky if i can keep up with the collecting Tiki thread. Seems to be so many new mugs on the market I can't keep them straight. And the prices are just going Up, Up, Up.

When will it stop? Do I need to stick with vintage mugs? Seems like there is a new mug every day. I've fallen behind, how will I ever catch up???

Can we start an email list that emails us when a new mug comes on the market, so we can buy it berore it sells out? Maybe we get a PM list started that sends a PM whenever a nuw Mug enters the market.

Is it possible?

That's a great idea, i think if you register with ooga mooga you should get heads up emails on new mugs. I sure would appreciate it........i miss out on plenty of new mugs including the Ohana hut because no one gave me a heads up about when it would go on sale. I was looking for it in " tiki marketplace" not "general tiki". I feel your pain. So many new mugs, etc. every week, you have to be selective.
Peace.

N

There are so many awesome Tiki Artists creating stuff right now, it is overwhelming.
The thing to keep in mind when collecting Tiki ceramics today is that you are purchasing artwork and not just a mug. Today's mugs are not the mass produced generic mugs of yesteryear, but imaginative creations, more on par with true Polynesian artifacts in that many go beyond drinking vessel to become representations of something "spiritual". I think everyone needs to find a balance between what they love and how much of their $$$ they can part with. I can't afford to collect Gecko's, but I have splurged on a couple of his pieces just because they "spoke" to me (they say things like "buy me now or cry later"). You have to have some deep pockets to just buy every mug that comes along, and I doubt it would be worth it. So MauiTiki, try and get what you love and don't dwell about what you've missed, if it's meant to be you'll get it sooner or later.

T

Some kind of new mug notification system would be great. It's extremely hard to keep up with all the new mugs. I really wanted a two tone king tiki from C'Al but they were sold out by the time I got wind of them. I have to echo nitropic about buying a mug for the love of it. I wish I could afford everything that Gecko has done but I can't so I have to pick and choose my favorites(who am I kidding, they're all my favorites). Not to mention so many other great artist/mug makers. Al,Tikitony, Diablo and Munktiki. A little more affordable but every bit as much a piece of art. I can honestly say I love every tiki mug I own so I don't regret any single purchase. I guess what I'm trying to say is enjoy what you have and can afford, and don't sweat the rest.

Thanks for the feedback. It was many years ago but I remember asking if I could still get a shecky mug and the response was sure just email stuckie. There are plenty left in the run of 150. Now days it seems if you don't jump you'll miss it or you'll end up paying big bucks on eBay.

Great idea Tikinomad, Let's bring it up to HumuHumu and see if we can start some kind of email notification of new tiki mugs and when they will hit the market. Maybe she could set up a place for Tiki artists to announce a new mug with a photo and description. Then whenever a new mug is added to the list and email goes out to paying members of Oooga-Mooga.

Maybe just a category or thread under collecting Tiki called "New Tiki Mug announcements" would do.

T

I think that the artist should still get to post where they choose but a direct place on OOga would be nice. That would give Humuhumu the powerful role of gatekeeper to the mug.

the only reason I started looking in the events page is for Hukilua photos.

Pages: 1 5 replies