Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Bar fixed up and ready to serve - Thanks Chisel slinger

Pages: 1 8 replies

So the before:

after some great tips on boiled Linseed oil and some poly on the top:

I know the stools need a little "caning" but its coming

Heres a close up of chiselslingers mask that I got at hukilau 06!

Thanks for all who helped! Now I just have to get my outdoor fountain setup!
I guess in the spring - at least the area is cleared and has power!

[ Edited by: sneakyjack 2006-10-22 17:47 ]

T

Sneakyjack, looks like a vintage Tiki bar (nice!) where did you find it? Is it really that dark compared to your outside pic?

Thortiki

D

great job. what a difference a little ( well maybe more) sweat makes.

Nice referb Sneaky. Can you spill the beans on how you did the the poly on the top? It turned out great, I would like to do something similar with poly for the top of my bar.

Zulu

So many questions:
I found it on craigslist NY area - cheap - well $250.
The Boiled Linseed oil was easy to find at Tru Value (Hardware). The bar pict is a little blown out so it looks lighter than it really was before starting. I washed it with a rag and soap (liquid detergent for dishes). It was hard to get in the grooves with the rag so I had fold it and use my finger - that part took some time. Then let it dry and used some sanding blocks - kinda foam/sponge like. I used a rag for most of the application of Boiled Linseed oil, but used a brush to fit in the grooves.

As far as the Poly top I first Sanded it a bit then used the boiled linseed oil on it then filled some deep holes and then simply painted on the a poly coat. - I put on 5 coats over about a 7 day period. (Minwax - Helmsman Semi Clear) The small can size.
The coat I used dried pretty quick but if you go for it then get a brush that "holds" the poly like paint. I tried with a bursh for acrylics (usually black and shiny bristles) and just slipped - or slopped the poly around the bar top.

As for the stools same deal as bar. I used the sand/foam/sponge thing after I washed them and then used a rag to get the Boiled Linseed oil on them. The cushions come off so that made it easy and they look pretty cool so they'll stay that way.

I did it over about 2 weeks on and off it wasn't all that hard.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 22, 2006 7:11 PM

Came up a treat. Nice work

C

Nice finish, looks good. Cant wait to put it to some good use!!

That's Mo Bettah'!
Aloha,
:tiki:

that looks just great. good job. hope you get it broken in well.

Pages: 1 8 replies