Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Yum? Doubtful Hawaiian Cookbook Drinks and Food Recipes

Pages: 1 2 replies

I've noticed in Hawaiian food and drinks books and booklets I've picked up that there are a lot of recipes that just sound...Crappy. So why shouldn't we share these most likely awful (or just so bland as to not be worth it) recipes?

From a booklet called Hapa Hawaiian Pupu & Cocktails (no date or publisher listed)

Red Noodle Cooler
Red Noodle Restaurant, Waikiki

4 oz red wine
2 oz 7 Up
1/2 fresh lime.

Fill 11 oz Old Fashioned Glass with cracked ice. Pour mixture over ice.

Pele
Black Angus Restaurant, Waikiki

1/2 jigger White creme de menthe
1/2 jigger Southern Comfort

Serve in "pony" glass. Light with match, let burn approximately 30 seconds to warm drink. Blow out flame and serve.

Blow Hole Fizz

1 jigger light rum
1 part grenadine
white of one egg
1 part sweet cream

Blend all ingredients.

Ono Tasty Pepperoni Tomatoes
Frank Trott

20 cherry tomatoes
2 or 3 sticks hot pepperoni

Wash tomatoes, cut thin slices from top of each. Scoop out center. Cut pepperoni sticks into tiny pieces, mix with 1 tsp. mayonnaise and stuff tomatoes.

Pele's Hot Ripe Olives
Marge MacQueen

Add 1 large clove of pressed garlic to 1 can pitted black olives and liquid. Bring to a boil. Drain liquid and serve hot with toothpicks.

Baby in the Blanket
Kaimana Beach Hotel, Waikiki

Hard boiled eggs
Slices of sirloin beef.

Sauce:
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 cup Mirin
1/2 cup soy sauce
5 T sugar
1/2 cup Dashi (clear broth)
1/2 t grated ginger
Dash mono sodium glutamate
2 t sesame oil

Slice the beef into thin slices. Remove the shells from the hard boiled eggs and wrap firmly with the beef slices. Tie with string. Combine all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Dip egg-beef roll in the sauce and boil till beef is cooked. Cool. Slice into 1/2 inch pieces and serve.

From Hawaii Cook Book (copyright 1965 Pacifica House, inc.)

Luau Mayonnaise

Thin 1 cup of mayonnaise with 2 tbs. pineapple juice or syrup and 1 tbs. maraschino cherry syrup. Blend to a smooth pink color.

Cheese 'N Pineapple Pupus

1 fresh pineapple, cubed
1 1/4 cups Luau Mayonnaise
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded coconut

Serve pineapple chunks on picks with bowls of other ingredients. Dip pineapple first in mayonnaise, then in cheese and coconut.

Honolulu Dip

1/2 cup crushed pineapple
2 T chopped mint
3 oz. cream cheese
2 T mayonnaise

Blend ingredients well. Serve in small bowls with hot fried celery sticks and, or, crackers

Kim Chee Dip (Oriental Relish Dip)

1 8 oz package cream cheese
2/3 cup Kim Chee

Soften the cream cheese at room temperature. Beat, blending in Kim Chee. Taste, add extra red pepper if desired. Makes about 1 1/2 cups to dip. Serve with chips or crackers.

Luau Fruit Bits

cut fresh pineapple and papaya in bite-size pieces and serve on picks with Luau Mayonnaise dip.

Seafoam Salad

1 package lemon gelatin
1 cup hot water
3 T lemon juice
1 t salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sieved avocado pulp
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
lettuce leaves

Dissolve gelatin in hot water. Cool and add lemon juice and salt. Chill until mixture begins to thicken. Fold in mayonnaise, avocado, and whipped cream which have been blended together. Pour into an oiled ring mold and chill until firm. Unmold on lettuce leaves.
Seafoam Salad may be varied through the choice of garnish. Use mandarin oranges and grapefruit sections for a light salad and marinated shrimp or lobster for a heartier salad.

Oh boy, Pink Mayonnaise! I think I feel my Seafoam salad coming up. You know, I had some Kim Chee dip recently that seemed similar to that recipe (maybe some sour cream involved) that was served with giant Japanese rice crackers. It was actually delicious. I have no experience with these other recipes(thank goodness!). Thanks for the post, good clean fun... as long as you're not eating 'em.

-Weird Unc

Pages: 1 2 replies