Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

American Homes of the 1950s

Pages: 1 7 replies

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Jan 1, 2003 5:48 PM

I think I have about done all I want on this site. Here's to a little self promotion. For fans of Lileks' "Regrettable Food", I was doing this before I ever saw his site.

The American Home

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2003-01-01 17:48 ]

T

That was a groovy little trip - thanks! Did you notice how big the scrapbook in front of that girl is? It's like she's the incredible shrinking woman.

S

Yes, I did. I think they just don't make scrap books like they used to!

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2003-01-02 12:57 ]

D

hey Swanky! that was fun..browsed thru the pictures.. memory lane!

i've been trying in vain to find vintage livingroom furniture. i get to decorate the family room as i want ~ and i get to put in a tiki bar! its an odd space in front of an open closet, with a column in the way ~ but i think theres room for 3 barstools ~ and shelves..

elicia

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Jan 3, 2003 7:55 AM

Sounds like you might use the open closet as a back bar area...

Vintage furnishings are getting too scarce. I wish I'd bought and stored more over the years. We just bought a couch and chair we can't use at a thrift store because it was $60 for the pair and they were in excellent condition. We may use them one day. Classic 50's stuff. But then, we are insane, but relatively sane. We have friends with several storage spaces rented out full of furntiture. That's insane, but we are creeping up on insane. We can forsee the day when these Danish Modern green rattan poieces in the basement will go in our sun room/tiki bar...

D

On 2003-01-03 07:55, Swanky wrote:
Sounds like you might use the open closet as a back bar area...

Vintage furnishings are getting too scarce.

thats exactly what im gonna do! i think it will be a great usable space.

i'm willing to pay for new heywake upholstered pieces, but it seems there's no distributor in washington. (upholstery old pieces can be SO expensive!)

well, i'm off to look at antique stores again today... what im hoping is that someone read my plea on CraigsList and has stuff to sell.

elicia

Hey Dogbytes,

If you're willing to make the trip there's an excellent antique store in Atlanta by the name of 20th Century Antiques - located on North Highland Ave. They specialize in restoring Heywood Wakefield and are reasonably priced. They may have a website - I didn't check.

I seem to not have a problem finding vintage furniture in thrift stores, but its the couches that are a major pain! People usually won't throw out a good couch, so finding good ones has been a struggle. Chairs just seem to find me though. How many of the tiki centralites are just into tiki, and how many do all retro? I am curious to know if there are more of you out there that are refurbishing your whole house in vintage. My hubby and I bought a 50's ranch last summer, and live and breath 50's-70's items, each room has a different feel, and only one of my rooms is tiki. (well, actually more danish mod with tiki accents) I'm glad my taste runs to the old and slightly used though, because it fits my budget too!

Pages: 1 7 replies