Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

What the Hell? Crazy HIP Turd Tiki

Pages: 1 9 replies

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Oct 26, 2006 2:51 AM

I came across this fella on ebay tonight, and I honestly don't know what to think:

Who at the HIP factory decided making a tiki that looks like a turd was good idea? I can even see pieces of peanut in there! It also sort of resembles those things you stick in a birdcage so your budgie can nibble away at it. Does anyone here actually own one of these monstrosities, and, if so - does it really look as bad as these photos suggest? I guess you can always throw it in your pool for a cheap laugh.
The terrible JPEG compression isn't helping matters either.

That's funny.

A Tiki Turnout - God of Bowel Movements

Lots of Alohaaaaarrrrrahhhh

HOK

This is made of Olivine/Peridot material mixed with resin. Some of the beaches on the Big Island have this green sand. :tiki:

Just pulled this guy out of the pool for a photo shoot. I think I'll put him back on the shelf.

A

Cross posted from another thread, here's a photo of that same HIP tiki, along with some of the other resin-based compositions or finishes, less common than the lava or hapa wood ones.

The sand ones and the Alii Gold ones are pretty cool. I like the Olivine HIP tikis myself - wonder why HIP only used that material on just a small number of tiki designs.

-Randy

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Oct 27, 2006 1:08 PM

For some reason, yours looks a lot less disturbing than the other examples posted so far Randy. It looks like there was a fair bit of variation in how the material turned out.

I've seen other souvenir items and knick-knacks made in this manner (rock chips or course sand cast in clear resin) and the results vary depending on design and possibly the mold. There have been a couple times when my eyes, flicking over a junk shop shelf, have caught sight of one of these things and my brain screams "What the hell is that???" (I have learned to be slightly cautious in junk shops because you never know what you're going to see, smell, or touch.)

I dont think these things are all that bad as they look somewhat different from the rest of the similar tiki trikets i and i assume most people own.

S

along those lines...I once came across something called a "poo pet". It was a little animal, frog, rabbit, that sort of thing, made out of...you guessed it, dung. The idea was you put it in your garden and it decays, leeching the nutrients into the soil. That's what I thought of when I first saw this. I wonder how many millions could be made selling "poo tikis" to TC gardeners. At the very least, might be an interesting user name.

I think its one of those power bars... but what flavor?

Pages: 1 9 replies