Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Handmade Tahitian instruments for sale...

Pages: 1 3 replies

I wasn't sure where to post this, so it can be re-routed to the proper catagory, if needed. I thought in Music, but then I thought there may be some who aren't musicians who still might be interested in these pieces.

If you've ever been to DisneyWorld in Orlando, and visited the Polynesian Village, you've seen some VERY large handmade Tahitian drums outside, and also inside, near the fountain. Those were handmade by a man named Dick Sanft. Dick is a native Tongan, and lived for many years in New Zealand and Hawai'i. He came to DisneyWorld in the '70's to play steel guitar (at which he's amazing, btw) at the Polynesian Village with his trio. They were there six nights a week for about 20 years. He retired from there in the late '90's, I believe, and is about 76 or so now.

I give you this background to know a little bit about who it is that made these drums, and his importance to the ealy history of the Polynesian Village at DW. Dick has asked me if I would help him sell a couple other drums he built for playing on special gigs. These are not nearly as huge as the ones at DW, but they are still pretty good size and they are LOUD!

The lighter color one is about 25" high, and uses 20" heads (Remo WeatherKing beater head, and an Ambassador for the other side). It is very light and resonant.

The other darker one is slightly smaller at 23" high, and has a WeatherKing beater head, and a Fyberskin head. Also, very light and resonant.

They are both tuned by turning the sticks on the outside of the drum. He is asking $700/obo for the larger one, and $500/obo for the smaller one.

He also has a Hawaiian to'ere log drum and stick (to'ere is traditionally played using just one stick) he would like to sell. He did not make this, but got it in Hawai'i. It IS handmade, however. It's about 22" long, and about 5" in diameter. He is asking $150 for the set (to'ere and stick).

I apologize for spamming the board, but I thought someone here would like to know about these first, before I go to Ebay or Craigslist.

Mahalo!

P

I'll take that to'ere.
Call me.

On 2006-10-28 10:43, pablus wrote:

I'll take that to'ere.
Call me.

:)

You'll have to fight me for it.

On second thought... mmmm... maybe not.

HK

Ooooohh! Are youse guys gonna indian wrestle for it? That I gotta see.

How's things, Paul?

J
http://www.whollycatsband.com

Pages: 1 3 replies