Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Haole'akamai's Voodoo Priestess in SF Chronicle

Pages: 1 41 replies

T

Hey! A fantastic drink creation by our very own Haole'akamai has
been written up in the San Fransisco Chronicle!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/27/WIG3TLV2J11.DTL

Her Voodoo Priestess drink is on special at the Forbidden Island.
Stop by and try one!

Congrats!

B

The Voodoo Priestess is a GREAT drink, good work Haole'akamai and congrates on the good press.

[ Edited by: Buster 2006-10-30 15:05 ]

[ Edited by: Buster 2006-10-30 15:05 ]

J

Congratulations Haole'akamai!

That is one very tasty cocktail!! Even better than last month's "Vitamin T." Keep 'em coming!

Thanks guys! It's a good drink, all the way through.

It's too bad I missed the photo shoot - I almost got my face in print! tee hee....

I had one last Tuesday and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind!! An exquisite cocktail-perfect for the season.
Congrats on the Press...You deserve it!!

[ Edited by: Conga Mike 2006-11-01 12:38 ]

M

*An exquisite cocktail-perfect for the season.

Totally. It's a most righteous libation. I was lucky to enjoy the early version of the Voodoo Priestess. It was so pumpkin-ah-licious good. Then, a little twist here and a wee adjustment there, it became that much better. Get your own self down to Forbidden Island, it's not that far, and order up one of these treats. It's no trick, matey, it is a fine cocktail. Truly, one for the season.

Way to go Haleo...uh, Hallpass, umm, Hee Oh Ah La La. Well done, Thayer. The Vitamin T was super goodness, as well.

That's 999 posts...at least thirty-six have been meritable. Hmm, perhaps thirty-five.

Boo eek boo,
ghost of midnite passed

EDIT:

**Save The Voodoo Priestess! This must now rank as a Forbidden Island signature cocktail. **

Hear here! I concur, most vociferously. The VP must, at a minimum, stick around through the end of the year. It's the right cocktail for the season: Halloween, Thankgsgiving, Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanza, Festivus, Shopping, Drinking. If the VP is not available at Forbidden Island I just may have to go to Forbidden Island more, stay longer, and I will talk to other customers, a lot. Don't make me visit the jukebox, I'll do it. (Hee hee, reverse psychology).

No Voodoo Priestess, no justice! Power to the people, feed me, I'm hungry. Rock on!

[ Edited by: midnite_tiki 2006-10-31 11:02 ]

The only problem is that it's one of the October Drinks Specials. With this being the last day in October...

[ HAPPY HALLOWE'EN EVERYONE!]

... I don't know how much longer it'll be on the menu. :)

Save The Voodoo Priestess! This must now rank as a Forbidden Island signature cocktail. Way to go!

-Weird Unc

MT

I agree! This one is definitely good enough to be a permanent fixture on the menu. I know I'll be drinking a couple of them tonight! Save the Voodoo Priestess!!!

Oh, and a big congrats to Thayer! So great to see the Priestess getting such highly deserved praise from the congregation!

** SAVE THE VOODOO PRIESTESS ** ** SAVE THE VOODOO PRIESTESS** (repeat after me..) ** SAVE THE VOODOO PRIESTESS **

Though I didn't try one yet, this sounds like a perfect HOLIDAY drink, and the holidays are just starting!!!

Congrats and way to go, Thayer!

• Myke

I concur--it must be saved AT LEAST until I can limp down there and try one. Surely it can stay on at least until TC night tomorrow?

M

Fear not, it will at least be on until mid November, if not beyond....

CL

Good news Martin! YAY!!! And I've only had a sip of one. It is a perfect Halloween season drink, and winter holiday drink, and refreshing Spring libation, and summer delight...oh jeez, just put the thing on the menu already.

Congrats to our illustrious priestess for getting her rightful recognition. :)

On 2006-10-31 19:03, martiki wrote:
Fear not, it will at least be on until mid November, if not beyond....

C

Alright Haole'akamai! All way nice to get the warm fuzzies from the local paper. I will have to get back over Alameda way and introduce myself to the Voodoo Preistess. It sounds pretty tasty and the reviews are glowing.

Catch ya later,
Chongolio

RB

Big thumbs up on the recipe from the wife and I...and pretty simple to make!

G

I love the way the red sanding sugar looks in that pic where it's melting and running down the side of the glass. Dracula would approve.

Interestingly, that was not planned. And it only happens when enough extra ice is put in to raise the fluid level to the sugared rim (the sugar acts as a wicking agent).

It's a cool effect, but tends to leave the drinker with sticky fingers. I've ended up serving the VP with two napkins when the levels are high.

I had always wanted to have a red rimmed glass (as homage to the red brick dust used in the casting of "circle of protection"), but I couldn't seem to find a unflavored rim sugar (they were all strawberry, or cherry, or watermelon, or whatever). I ended up getting onto a Bakery Supplies website, and they had "sanding sugar", used for topping cookies. It's perfect.

Also, I've found that some people prefer a sweeter drink and can sip it throught the sugar, so the rim doea double duty.

~T

P.s. Thanks, RB, for the compliment! It means alot to me. :)

Oh lordy, that sounds good. I am nuts for pumpkin pie spices and stuff like that. The Voodoo Priestess might even get me out of my hole and back down to FI. :lol:

CONGRATS, Thayer dear! Sounds like you have a real mixology gift!

G

Mmmmmmm.... pumpkiny goodness. I rounded up all the ingredients (red sugar too) and mixed up a Voodoo Priestess this evening. The Voodoo spice rum took a little sluething to locate. I must say this drink is quite good. And it's perfect for the holiday season. I would suggest to others though, that if you prefer your cocktails a little less on the sweet side that you might want to back down on the pumpkin spice syrup a little, say to an ounce and a half. Congrats Thayer on a wonderful recipe! Adding it to my "A" list now.

H

The drink mellows very nicely, too. The first few sips are very VOODOO SPICE!, very tasty but a bit intense for a whole drink. But as the ice melts it softens up, and makes for a very nice full drink indeed.

On 2006-11-04 16:39, GatorRob wrote:
I would suggest to others though, that if you prefer your cocktails a little less on the sweet side that you might want to back down on the pumpkin spice syrup a little, say to an ounce and a half. Congrats Thayer on a wonderful recipe! Adding it to my "A" list now.

Yipee! I'm glad it's getting such a warm reception. Mahalo!

But you're right about bumping down the VP syrup to 1.5 - we're doing the same thing at Forbidden Island. People who are wanting a sweeter drink just sip it through the sugar.

T

I have been wanting alittle F.I. experience. I have never made a drink yet and only have had a couple at tiki Bars and only half were at a good tiki bar.

I thought that I could do this one and wanted to as well. Wow, it was the best tasting drink that I have made or had.

I didn't use the exact names of the alcohol and next time I will use the sugar rim (I think that I have blue) and a real lemon. But I did use a real lime, which I near really have on hand.

Cheers

UPDATE: there is Voodoo syrup at Forbidden Island again, so if you get the hankering for a Voodoo Priestess, just come on by.

G

Funny you should mention that. I just called up the liquor store earlier this week and ordered a couple of bottles of Voodoo Spiced Rum. I just can't get through a Halloween-Thanksgiving-Christmas season without a good Voodoo Priestess. That bottle of red sugar has been sitting there all lonely like for months now. Time to whip up a batch of Voodoo syrup...

On 2007-09-29 13:20, Haole'akamai wrote:
... if you get the hankering for a Voodoo Priestess, just come on by.

Oh... if only.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2007-09-29 16:11 ]

MT

Ah yes. The Voodoo Priestess. Tikitastic and I have been waiting patiently for the arrival of the special elixer chock full of "Voodoo spices". Rumor had it that it was making a re-appearance yesterday, which co-incided with a visit from Crazy Al. And sure enough, we were able to quench our voodoo thirst, from the opening of the bar until.... er, closing.

G

Whipped up my first Voodoo Priestess of the season last night. A sure sign that Fall has arrived. Well, that and the fact that I can now step out into the Florida sun in the middle of the day and not have to make a hasty retreat indoors to the comforts of A/C and a dry shirt!

Pumpkins, football, cool nights, Voodoo Priestesses.... aaaaaahhh.

(Those of you in the Bay area who have cool nights in JULY (!!!) probably have no appreciation for the above statement. Global warming will fix that.)

O

Ok Haole'akamai! ,

I made your syrup and I'm waiting to make your creation until the Tiki Crawl night. Isn't the TC mobile crew going to be broadcasting live there? How about making one on camera? I have all the ingredients to follow along with you at home.

I hope someone wears a clownsuit in rememberance of Andy.

I know there's no syrup at FI right now, but I'm willing to make some and bring it for the crawl, if People are amenable.

On 2007-11-07 10:07, Haole'akamai wrote:
I know there's no syrup at FI right now, but I'm willing to make some and bring it for the crawl, if People are amenable.

Yes Please!!

MT

I second that! Yes, please!!! I would love for you to bring some. Make sure to bring enough to quench a Mai Tai sized thirst!

M

*Make sure to bring enough to quench a Mai Tai sized thirst!

There's not a straw long enough to beat Senor McButterpants. Don't ask me how I know this, I just do. His is a powerful thirst. That loud sucking sound coming from the South is not NAFTA...it's Mai Tai.

Plus, he is a super secret code breaker. If I ever grow up I want to be just like him, 'cept better at bocce.

Eight straws...yes sir, saw it with my own eyes.
midnite

OK Haole, so what time is the camera crew going to be there to webcast you and will you be wearing the clown suit. ( Also, don't let Unga order a flaming drink)

For you, I can be wearing a clown suit.

For the Scottish Clown Doctors and in memory of poor Andy. Maybe a moment of silence for him tonight?

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-11-10 11:18 ]

I watched the Voodoo Priestess being made and tried to follow along best I could. Good drink Haole!
Sorry you were sick and not at FI for the webcast. Next year in a clown suit!

very cool thayer! now we need an article on your awesome vintage clothes.

WOW, that's one nice drink! I made up a few this weekend and enjoyed.
At first the spicyness threw me but it didn't take long to get used to... I had to keep telling myself to slow down and savor each sip but at the same time I wanted to down it so I could make another. Mmmmmm, good.
Mahalo Thayer!
Aloha,
:tiki:

T

Has anyone tried adapting the Voodoo Priestess recipe for use with Hiram Walker Pumpkin Spice Liqueur?

http://www.hiramwalker.com/pumpkin-spice-contest.php
http://www.hiramwalker.com/fall-flavors.php

The Voodoo Priestess
Adapted from a recipe by Thayer Lund of Forbidden Island, Alameda.

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 ounces Cruzan dark rum
1 1/2 ounces VooDoo spiced rum
1/2 ounce brandy
2 ounces fresh orange juice
1 ounce fresh lime juice
1 ounce fresh lemon juice
2 ounces Voodoo Priestess Spice Syrup (see Recipe)
1 dash orange bitters

INSTRUCTIONS:

Fill a cocktail shaker two-thirds full with ice and add all of the ingredients. Shake for approximately 15 seconds and strain into a large, ice-filled goblet.

Note: At Forbidden Island this drink is served in a glass rimmed with red sanding sugar.

Voodoo Priestess Spice Syrup

INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
2 cups pure cane sugar
1 cup boiling water

INSTRUCTIONS:

Sift together the pumpkin pie spice and the sugar, add boiling water and stir until sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool to room temperature.

[ Edited by: TikiSan 2007-12-20 20:07 ]

That's a good question. I'll see if my local BevMo! has some and check it out.The VP syrup isn't alcoholic, so it'll be a stronger drink, at the very least.

I've also been meaning to try the Monin pumpkin pie spice syrup...

O

On 2007-11-10 11:03, Haole'akamai wrote:
For you, I can be wearing a clown suit.

I'll see you at the Tiki Ti on the 28th, Mike Sr and Jr should let you make a Voodoo Priestess as a guest bartender especially if it's to honor poor Andy.
Just make sure you bring the suit, or at least a nose. :wink:

O

Eye of the Goof mug, perfect for the Voodoo Priestess that You do so well.

I'd like to try this drink, but I don't want to whip up a batch of pumpkin pie spice in the "off-season". Has anyone tried subbing something like 1/2 cinnamon syrup, 1/2 allspice syrup instead? Or maybe cut those to 1/3 and add 1/3 of ginger syrup? I've been craving spicier cocktails lately and in the last couple of months have made my own allspice and cinnamon syrups as well as falernum, but pumpkin pie spice is such a seasonal thing for me. Would it last in the fridge until the fall?

Pages: 1 41 replies