Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

new to exotica

Pages: 1 6 replies

W

I have recently started listening to exotica and I am considering getting a CD. I was thinking about getting "The Exotic Music of Martin Denny" which is a 2 cd set. I was also considering getting something by Les Baxter. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cd that encompasses exotica at its finest?

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Oct 31, 2006 2:16 PM

I have this one by Les Baxter and it's great, may be hard to find now though? (linked)

TM

Not any one CD. Once you start with one, it leads to another. And another. And another! However, the two CD Martin Denny is a great album. I have it.

You might want to check out this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Lyman

And while you are at it, Esquivel is great! As far as Les Baxter, try "tamboo" and "skins" (I think those are the names) as they come on one two-album CD.

A good series of CDs are the ultra lounge series!!

D

I highly suggest "Quiet Village" by Martin Denny. The song is on the Exotica album, but over all, the album "Quiet Village" is one of my favorites. Also do try Aurthur Lyman. I suggest "Hawaiian Sunset". Both of which are on CD. There are also a ton of Arthur Lyman albums that haven't made it to CD yet that are great too. My absolute favorite artist that is not on CD anywhere is Gene Rains. I strongly suggest picking up any LP you find by him (I think there is a total of 4 that were released in the late 50's/early 60's). They are great!

here are some of my favorites!

Mondo Exotica

Jungle Exotica

K

Make this one of your first purchases:

Robert Drasnin - Voodoo

T

Lucas is right about not eating just one ---- I started with the Martini Kings then ventured out in the middle of the night to score some Don Tiki then got home before sunrise and copped some Denny Martin ---- it dosen't stop !!! try gospel !

Pages: 1 6 replies