Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Interesting OLD tapa Print

Pages: 1 3 replies

So this, I'm told, is an old prayer mat from the Pacific Islands - I got it from a sister / nun so I have to believe her. Its pretty cool and has a few small holes and one big one. what do you know about it? - its 4X6 feet

the print closer

a look at the bigger of all the holes

Thanks for looking tell me what you think!!

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Nov 1, 2006 6:40 AM

I can't tell you age. Awfully hard to really tell. I have never heard of tapa being a prayer mat. Well, I have no idea what it is really used for other than something given away at weddings.

This piece of Tapa is Tongan you can tell by the designs printed and the process of the under printing and over painting. If its small it was made specifically for a tourist item. Much larger pieces are made for cerimonial uses. 4x6 feet sounds like average size for wedding present. I have several pieces this size.There is a pretty nice book on Tapa called Traditional Tapa Textiles of the Pacific. I have also done a book about Tapa, but its a copywrite free design book for artist Dawn

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2006-11-01 08:46 ]

On 2006-11-01 08:40, Sophista-tiki wrote:

This piece of Tapa is Tongan you can tell by the designs printed and the process of the under printing and over painting. If its small it was made specifically for a tourist item. Much larger pieces are made for cerimonial uses. 4x6 feet sounds like average size for wedding present. I have several pieces this size.There is a pretty nice book on Tapa called Traditional Tapa Textiles of the Pacific. I have also done a book about Tapa, but its a copywrite free design book for artist Dawn

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2006-11-01 08:46 ]

Sophista.... What happened to the rest of this??? PM me or Email me. I wana know 'bout your book.

Pages: 1 3 replies