Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Shag Gallery show in NYC NOV 06 pics added

Pages: 1 13 replies

So in NYC Shag is showing his work:
http://www.jonathanlevinegallery.com/?method=Exhibit.Upcoming

Its says opening reception Nov 18th Saturday - but does that mean cheap champagne and finger food but NO Shag OR will Josh be there? - The gallery people are not sure as they can't say. Does anyone know whats up on the Shag front? - I'm gonna go check it out but would hate to miss the chance to say "Hi" to the man by not going to the opening.

Not sure who to ask around here (TC) so hopefully someone can answer this? -Maybe M-modern peoples? Or Shag friends - maybe the man himself?

thanks

[ Edited by: sneakyjack 2006-11-19 13:59 ]

Ok so the gallery just informed me that Shag should be there opening night Nov 18 6pm and to get there a little early. Looks like a good time to say "hey" to Josh and possibly head out in NYC to waikikis and maybe Ottos?

anyone else interested?

[ Edited by: sneakyjack 2006-11-03 11:14 ]

Sorry I didn't respond earlier, as far as I know, Shag has attended just about every opening solo show of his. But it sounds as though you got the answer straight from the horse's mouth. I just might join you at one bar or another after the show!

yep still plannin on going - Should a few people in tow with me... time will tell!!! PM me if anyone one would like to meet up. I plan to be there by 6pm prob 5:30 or so.... Not sure the about after the event - but its a big city with places to eat and drink and even a few tiki type establishments!

As my wahini has a broken ankle, we're kind of limited. I was thinking of a restaurant for dinner, and then, possibly the Terra Blues Club.

TC'ers need some sort of pin something to recognize each other among civilians.

We plan to hit up Waikiki wallys afer the show runs out...
maybe earlier

PM me and I'll give you my cell there should be a few of us goin out - I'll have this sticker on to help:

Check out coverage of Shag's latest show "Donna Con Bambino" on Life In A Bungalo.

Click for article

So since this was Friday does that mean no Josh on Saturday?- A little confused here since the link said Saturday but your photos are from Friday eve?
thanks

Saturday is the opening and I'm sure he'll be there. Last night was the preview night for people who bought a painting, friends of the gallery, rock stars, and press.

Well everything was great and it was cool to meet up with a few new TC'ers in the NYC.
As everyone said Shag was great to meet and very happy to everyone, posing for pics and signing whatever people had. Did I mention how great it was to see the art in person the pictures do not do them justice if you have the chance to see this show or any other shag shows take the time and do it... VERY cool stuff from a cool guy.

the crowd lines up to speak to the man

Josh signs away - the decantuer was a wedding gift to Dr Frankentiki

Here is a close up - something you don't get in the lithos or prints:

wide shot:

How'd they hang that sideways?

big pieces of the smaller paintings:

Also see life in a bungalow post above nice shots there too!

[ Edited by: sneakyjack 2006-11-19 13:58 ]

Thank you. Looks like it was hot as hell in there.

uh-oh....larger pieces of his smaller paintings?? looks like shag is perhaps getting bored with his own work......

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2006-11-20 12:57 ]

T

My favorite magazine after Tikimagazine is Juxtapoz. Here is a little more on the subjust.
http://www.juxtapoz.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=574&Itemid=62

Pages: 1 13 replies