Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help settle a bet

Pages: 1 21 replies

D

help me settle a bet here. A mai Tai is on the line. is this tiki or an indian ? thanks

totem pole

S

Indian.

looks native alaskan to me.

Looks like a totem pole from the north west ta me.

H

Another vote for Pacific Northwest Native American-inspired.

M

North American Alaskan Indian Totem

Not Tiki

Nice though!

Mahalo

McTiki

CL

Tough one. It looks like Pacific Northwest. But PNW's usually have animal like features and different eyes. From my experience, the PNW's are usually are sitting/squatting at the bottom.

It doesn't seem to be 'Tiki'. My guess is it's an attempt at tiki by someone in or from the Pacific Northwest.

T

in a different contexts, all those faces could be considered tiki but as a whole, Native American. Plus a big deciding question is were they ever used in a tiki bar and the answer should be no.

J
JM posted on Fri, Nov 3, 2006 7:54 PM

Yes it is. (You asked if it's ugly right?)

Way Indian.

Looks like it is Pacific Northwest style.

Totem pole all the way!!

Also looks like someone else's pole sticking out from the right hand side. :)

Cheers,
Jeff

F

I don't know what it is, but it's definitely not tiki.

Here is a much better question: Why is the top head floating above the others as if by magic?

On 2006-11-04 05:44, Jeff Central wrote:
Also looks like someone else's pole sticking out from the right hand side. :)

That's just wrong! :lol:

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2006-11-04 07:50 ]

D
dibroc posted on Sat, Nov 4, 2006 8:39 AM

Thank you everyone. I will take the above anwsers and enjoy my Mai Tai tonight. I was happy to hear she paid less than 5.00 dollars for the piece.

K
Koolau posted on Sat, Nov 4, 2006 9:36 PM

To be fair, your friend should have also posted on a Pacific Northwest Indian website and see if they claimed it. Maybe they would have said "Tiki, definitely tiki".

K
Koolau posted on Sat, Nov 4, 2006 9:38 PM

And you didn't answer the earlier question - why is that top head floating?

S
squid posted on Sat, Nov 4, 2006 11:21 PM

Have you looked at the bottom? I'm betting it's Japanese and no one gets the Mai Tai.

I've seen those before. I believe their from washington. gift shop stuff. native american totem pole. looks like cup holders on the lower sides.

On 2006-11-03 10:03, dibroc wrote:
help me settle a bet here. A mai Tai is on the line. is this tiki or an indian ? thanks

I hope your money was on indian...

On 2006-11-04 21:38, Koolau wrote:
And you didn't answer the earlier question - why is that top head floating?

It's the cork on the bottle?

K
Koolau posted on Sun, Nov 5, 2006 4:51 PM

I'll bet you're right - I thought it was a stack of cups, but now I can see that it's a bottle. Good eye.

I wouldn't call it TIKI or American Pacific Northwestern but for the Mai Tai it was intended as a bad attempt at a Totem Pole from the Pacific Northwest! :tiki: :drink:

Pages: 1 21 replies