Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Need help Identifying artwork

Pages: 1 11 replies

T

I received this as a small jpg file and I'm wanting to find original to buy or license. Please contact me if you know where this came from.
Thanks

TikiTom12

S

reminds me of an Arrow shirt ad from another thread [sorry, I know that wasn't much help]It's not here but check out this website for similar stuff http://www.plan59.com

[ Edited by: saxotica 2006-11-03 15:16 ]

One of my flickr contacts is one of the most knowledgeable people i've ever encountered in mid-century illustration. he's very well-versed in the artists of the period, and has tracked down some obscure artists and work. i bet he could track it down!

http://flickr.com/photos/leifpeng/

you can contact him through his flickr profile. good luck -- that's a FANTASTIC image! keep us posted!

True, what a funny image, that would have fit perfectly into my Tiki Mod chapter "Where The Wild Things Are---The History And Meaning of The Leopard Print".
It looks like one of those illustrations that Tommy Steele used for Capitol's Ultra Lounge CD compilation.

On 2006-11-03 23:47, bigbrotiki wrote:
It looks like one of those illustrations that Tommy Steele used for Capitol's Ultra Lounge CD compilation.

Bigbro is right. This image was used in one of the Ultra Lounge CD's released by Capitol Records in the mid-90's. Not sure which one though. You might check the credits to give you an idea as to who owns the rights.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

Thanks for your reply. I looked on the Capitol Records site and couldn't find the album/cover you refer to... any other ideas??
http://www.capitolrecords.com/artists/discographyDetail.aspx?artistId=906932&releaseId=724385341021&type=1

Mahalo
TikiTom

K

The booklets that came with each Ultra Lounge CD had lots of artwork which is where this one looks like it came from. I only have 4 of them and this pic was not in those.

You may want to check the forums at Java's Bachelor Pad. If Java doesn't know which CD it's on nobody will.

[ Edited by: Kenike 2006-11-04 10:13 ]

H

It was used as artwork in the liner notes for either the Tiki Sampler or the Leopard Skin Fuzzy Sampler -- I don't remember which, and both of mine are packed away somewhere.

I agree, it's a great bit of artwork! I'd also be interested in learning more about it. Best of luck!

I first saw the image in the liner notes for volume 1 of the Ultra-Lounge series - 'Mondo Exotica'.
What a fun image - I so enjoyed it, I frequently clothe a mannequin in a similar fashion with a leopard skin dress to stand and serve in my tiki bar! Looking forward to know more of the story behind the illustration.

H

On 2006-11-04 11:00, jpmartdog wrote:
I first saw the image in the liner notes for volume 1 of the Ultra-Lounge series - 'Mondo Exotica'.
What a fun image - I so enjoyed it, I frequently clothe a mannequin in a similar fashion with a leopard skin dress to stand and serve in my tiki bar! Looking forward to know more of the story behind the illustration.

Don't pay any attention to what I said earlier about which Ultra Lounge discs it's on -- I knew I'd seen it on one of my Ultra Lounge discs, and I didn't remember that I had that one. Jpmartdog's likely correct.

T

It's definitely "Mondo Exotica". There are no artists credited though. Art direction was Tommy Steele and Andy Engel.Design was Andy Engel again. I hope that helps you track it down.

Long time Capitol Records art director Tommy Steele did the very first book on Hawaiian Shirts. That image does look like an old ad for a men's shirt company.

Pages: 1 11 replies