Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Karbora on road trip to Forbidden Island

Pages: 1 12 replies

K

The flatlander is headed west. San Francisco is the destination, but Forbidden Island is the main attraction! I am headed out tommorow morning and will be at FI around 6:30pm tommorow, Saturday night. I am really looking forward to the experience and am planning on being there for the duration. Any TCers up for meeting to share some aloha spirit?? I had intended to post this earlier but the time got away from me. If anyone is in the area stop in . I am pretty sure I will need some coaching on what forbidden beverage to try next. I will be the one in awe of a the true tiki lounge surroundings :)

Karbora

J

Aloha Karbora,
I have plans for the first part of the evening, but might make it to FI around 10:00 if you think you'll still be there. Make sure the bartenders and/or waitress (the lovely Haole'akamai) know who you are so I can find you when I get there. Even if I don't see you there, enjoy your stay, and be sure to have a Voodoo Priestess!
Jen

K

Aloha JenTiki-

Looks like I will be starting with a Voodoo Priestess! I will most definately be there at 10pm. I hope you can stop in. Would love to meet a fellow TCer and hear about your tiki adventures. I will fill you on the tiki news from the east coast :)

Karbora

A
Al-ii posted on Fri, Nov 3, 2006 7:51 PM

Aloha Carbora,
You'll love FI, Let me know if your coming south.
Mahalo,
Al

M

Aloha Karbora,

I'm sorry that I'll miss you tomorrow- have a great time at FI. Say hello to my assistant manager, Matt. First one is on me.

Thanks for visiting!

-martin

Aloha Carbora,
I'll be over at Conga Lounge, but I'l try to stop on by and say hi at some point.
Always good to hear Tiki news from the East Coast.

H

We'll be there this evening! Not sure what time, 7ish? 8ish? Sometime around then. See you there!

On 2006-11-04 10:26, Humuhumu wrote:
We'll be there this evening! Not sure what time, 7ish? 8ish? Sometime around then. See you there!

Saturday - it's the NEW Wednesday! It'll be good to have y'all in tonight!
~T

Hey Karbora! I forgot to say Mahalo for stopping by. It was exquisite to have your presence at Forbidden Island last weekend and a pleasure to have a reason to bring out The Ohana Hut. Post the pictures when you can.

And an extra Mahalo for the local TC Ohana for forming a welcoming party.

Aloha!
~T

K

I was transported to another place and time on Saturday night. I was so excited after a long day of travel to arrive at Forbidden Island. What a fantastic night! I felt at home instantly in the surroundings, but it was the welcome from the Ohana that made me begin to wonder if somehow I could make this trip more often. As much as I love the big annual gatherings there is nothing more priceless than to share an evening of cocktails and conversation with fellow TCers who I rarely get to see.

I was first greeted by Matt, who was Manager on duty. He gave me some history on the lounge and pointed out some of the details of the décor……and there are plenty. I love the shipwrecked feel of the bar and all the tiki carvings from every master carver that you can name. This is the look that is so rarely achieved.

Haole'akmai was there and to see her smile gave me instant energy. She was beautiful as always in her vintage wares. Thanks Haole for taking such great care of me, especially taking me through the drink menu.

I have decided that the Voodoo Priestess is indescribable, but a must. Mystery drink, Painkiller, Monkeypod all made to perfection thanks to Jim who did not stop mixing all night. I was off to a good start, thanks to Martiki!

A couple of sips in, I turn around and it’s Hanford and Humuhumu who have made the journey to the Island for the evening. I can not believe my eyes. They have taken time out of their busy schedules to make the excursion. I think to myself how incredibly fortunate I am to have this moment in time. It was awesome getting to know them in such an intimate setting and hearing past stories of the people, places, and events of TC that I can never get enough of. They are so gracious and giving and I was so very glad that they came.

I was psyched to meet Jab, who as legend tells was the first one to complete the drink menu at FI. Now I realize what a feat this is!

So how could this get better you ask……Haole'akmai brings out the Ohana Hut! This honor was not lost on me and I really appreciated what it meant to share this moment. Those 20” straws rock…you can grab a sip from anywhere!

I also had the pleasure to meet JenTiki who took the time out of her day to stop in to say Aloha. At one point she even stood in line to get in as the place was packed. I was disappointed that by that time of the night I could not only not find my camera, but was not coordinated enough to snap a shot……so I missed a lot of opportunities to capture all of the great moments.

Conga Mike and Denise arrived to cheers by the TC crowd. When is it not great to see them! I enjoyed catching up and glad to know that all is well on the west coast.

There was so much tiki news to catch up on, it was time for FI to close before I knew it. The aloha spirit surrounded me all night at FI and I will never forget it. I left with many souvenirs of the night, as well as feeling joyous and complete. Thanks to all of you for a great evening.

Mahalo-

Karbora

It's always a pleasure seeing you, Karbora... Come back soon!!!

H

I'm so glad we were able to meet up with Karbora -- she's so interesting, entertaining and fun! We had the most fantastic night. It was a treat to have an opportunity to get to know Karbora better -- but now I wish she lived in our town! Karbora, thanks for the invitation to join you at Forbidden Island, I hope we'll see you again soon.

I only have a few pictures -- I was happily too busy gabbing & drinking!

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/karbora/

:down: Hanford & Karbora share a mystery drink served in an 'Ohana Hut:

:down: Karbora falls under the spell of a Voodoo Priestess:

Pages: 1 12 replies