Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Makita 5012b carving chainsaw on ebay

Pages: 1 12 replies

K

Hey I am selling one of my chainsaws. I have 2 of these and am not good enough to use both of them at once so I thought I would share my action with you guys and gals. I have used this one but since I put a carving bar on my other makita this one never gets used anymore. Hope this is the right place to post this. Here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160048321916&rd=1&rd=1

Thanks

Kiegs, isn't that the "double speed" model? I bought the electric Makita UC3500 in-line, but that was my other choice at the time and I was really on the fence about it. Very nice chainsaw.

How much exta would a carving bar be for this model?

B

This is an Excellent saw. A Carving bar can be had for under 75$ I'm sure. This saw will last and Last and Last!

K

Aarons Akua, funny I could not remember if it was a double speed and just used my other one yesterday. So I plugged it in and it is single speed. How do you like the UC3500?
Polynesiac I found a carving bar on ebay for $24.00 I think, but that was super cheap. If you get a quarter tip with a 3/8 pitch you don't have to change the sprocket. Like Benz said bar and chain combo are around $75.00.

On 2006-11-05 19:42, keigs20 wrote:
Aarons Akua, funny I could not remember if it was a double speed and just used my other one yesterday. So I plugged it in and it is single speed. How do you like the UC3500?

Well, I like mine fine, but then again, I've only used it for cutting the ends off logs, not chainsaw carving in any real sense. But, I'm hoping to get a carving tip on down the road and try it out in that way. With that in mind, I did a lot of research when I picked up my chainsaw and wound up looking at those two models. The UC3500 is an "in-line" model, which is supposedly better balanced without the motor sticking out one side or the other. But it comes with a 14" bar (maybe a bit long for carving), and runs at a "standard" 2618 FPM. The 5012b, on the other hand, comes with a standard 12" bar (probably just right for carving) but runs at a blazing 5500 FPM, which is what I meant by "double speed". It was a toss up for me, but maybe if I had it to do all over, I'd have picked your model.

Here's the specs between the two, if anyone's interested.

There's also the lighter tree trimmer models out there, but I believe they're all gas, and I wanted electric for lower maintenance, less noise for the neighbors, etc.

If I had more time right now, and some disposable income, I'd pounce all over your ebay auction, because the list is somewhere's around $161, plus it has all that Witco mana in it which is hard to put a price tag on. :wink:

A-A

Thought about it long & hard. It's mine now!

Do me a favor & drain the bar oil before you ship it, Ken. Unfortunately it's gonna sit for a while before I get a chance to use it. Long story. :)

A-A

K

Cool thanks Aaron, I will drain the oil, I think I have an extra new chisel chain I can throw in also.

snooze and loose! took me too long to come back and check.

Aaron...if ya need someone to babysit it for ya....

Mahalo, Keigs! Much appreciated. :)

On 2006-11-05 19:42, keigs20 wrote:
Polynesiac I found a carving bar on ebay for $24.00 I think, but that was super cheap. If you get a quarter tip with a 3/8 pitch you don't have to change the sprocket. Like Benz said bar and chain combo are around $75.00.

Where can you find the carving bar that uses 3/8 chain? I thought they all needed special 1/4 pitch chain.

Jim, come on by anytime you want, just leave the chain sharper than you found it! (shouldn't be too hard...)

A-A

J

On 2006-11-07 12:55, Aaron's Akua wrote:

Where can you find the carving bar that uses 3/8 chain? I thought they all needed special 1/4 pitch chain.

A-A

Check here, If I remember right, one of these bars can run 3/8 chain.

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/scan/arg=%22/fi=products/st=db/tf=sortorder%2cdescription/co=yes/sf=category/se=10069/op=eq/ml=5.html?id=8wNoZsjs

JP

B

The Quarter tip (25c) bars should all be able to run the 3/8 chain. Just NO Dime tips, Those need 1/4 pitch.
Go to Baileys logging equipment HERE
to see their carving tools. They even have "How to Carve" videos!

Thanks, Ben & JP.

I called Baileys & they said they don't know of any bars (dime or quarter) that run 3/8" pitch chain.

So it looks like I'd have to buy a 1/4" sprocket & some 1/4" chain to go with the 12" bar. No biggie, though. The sprockets are like nine bucks and the whole setup would be around $85.

I also noticed they have some 8" bars. I wonder how those work - seems kind of small.

Hey, Ben - I love your new line of apparel at Baileys! Gotta get me some of those Ben Davis Work Pants. A must have for any serious chainsaw carver!

Pages: 1 12 replies