Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Wakulla suites and Bahi Hut

Pages: 1 4 replies

M
Matiki posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 4:13 AM

Taking the wife and kids down to FLA during Christmas. I want to do some surfing and Tiki hunting. We found the Wakulla Suites in Cocoa Beach. Anybody have any info? From their web site it appears to be somewhat Tiki. From there we are spending some time in Sarasota. We plan to hit Bahi Hut and take a day trip to the Mai Kai. I would like to hear more about the Hotel and the Bahi Hut if anybody has any info. Mahalo

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 9:01 AM

Hey Matiki! We live about 10 minutes from the Wakulla. It's very Polynesian from the looks of it outside, however, I have never stayed there.

Looks ok, and they have done major upgrades in the last 10 yrs

http://www.wakullasuites.com/

You should let us know about it after your stay.

Mahalo

McTiki

Wakulla

We stayed ther 2 years ago and had a blast. Rarely leaving the property. The room we had was a suite next to the pool. LARGE room (more like a suite) with plenty of room to get comfortable, Bathroom and Kitchenette. We had our small kids and were with a bunch of people. It was nice because it was centrally located and very easy to find. You are within walking distance to the pier and the surf breaks nicely out front of the property. The property is a bit long - meaning - that if you stay close to the pool its a pretty long hike out to the beach. When we were there the amenities were a little run down but I'm sure with any remodel they have upgraded alot. I am not that picky but the wife is and she a great time. I have no complaints and would recomend that hotel. Enjoy

M
Matiki posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 6:28 PM

Thanks for the info. I will let you know the outcome.

M
Matiki posted on Mon, Jan 8, 2007 1:02 PM

Well Wakulla does have some tiki around the place and is very tropical. There is a cool Tiki Shower and other Tiki through out the gardens. The office is very tropical with a cool polynesian painting and some Wayne Coombs tikis used to support the bamboo and thatch roof. The rooms are so-so but we were at the beach and only slept there. Went to see Wayne at Mai Tiki. He was super cool and has some awesome carvings in his studio. We made a pilgrimige to the Bahi Hut in Sarasota. It seems the place has seen better days. Me and the wife were decked out in our best Vintage Hawaiian duds, expecting a mini Mai Kai only to be greated by one "regular" ,2 tikis, and some nice paintings. I aksed what was their specialty and was told Mai Tai. I watched him pour around 5 shots in to a glass and then what appeared to be Hawain punch. No freshly squezed jucies that are thrown away nightly like in the book here. I warned the wife and took a gulp only to nearly spit it right at her. If someone were somking near by there may have been a fire hazourd. Road trip gave it 3 tikis. I was surprised I live near Chins in Livonia and it got 2 tikis. Chins has WAY more tiki to it than that place. The bar tender was realy nice and gave me 2 original napkins from the place. We left most of our $13.00 drinks on the table. I do like the fact the place has been there for years and they dont hide the fact they make a stiff drink.If you are in the area swing in, but dont swing too hard.

Pages: 1 4 replies