Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Maikai Gents at Trader Vic's S.F. November 11

Pages: 1 21 replies

This just in from Iuka Grogg:

Aloha Friends!

Please join us this Saturday, November 11 at San Francisco's venerable tiki temple, Trader Vic's. We'll be playing our signature Hawaiian Island sounds from 6:30-10:00PM. Come on out and enjoy a delectable dinner and some supreme tropical concoctions! This is the birthplace of the Maitai and we can't wait to toast you with a few! Okole Maluna!

Trader Vic's is located at:
555 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
415-775-6300

See you soon!

-Iuka Grogg for The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa

p.s. Keep in mind that our CD, "The Wiki Wiki Grog Shop," makes for a fine holiday gift. It's available on our website: http://www.mkgents.com Mahalo!

J

Hey Bay Area Ohana,
Who would like to join me for dinner and music at TV's to help support our local tiki musicians? Let's post here if you're interested and work out the details later in the week.
Mahalo,
Jen

Drat!!! TofuJoe & I will be outta town.

blech!

Hey JenTiki, great idea! The band will certainly join you and the other TC Ohana when we're on break. If it seems there'll be a big group, be sure to make a reservation. Looking forward to seeing some happy tipplers on Saturday. Free song requests for all Tiki Centralites!

-Weird Unc

Can we requests, even if we won't be able to be there?

WEIRDUNC: This one's going out to Haole'akamai, who sadly, couldn't be with us tonight...

A sad day indeed! :cry:

It looks as though the Mojo Clan....Mrs. Mojo & the good Dr.TikiMojo will not likely make it!
Mrs. Mojo has a High School Reunion, (I won't say how many years!).
I would much rather be swaying to the cool Hawaiian sounds of the MK Gents but Nooooooooooooo! I got's to go as part my husbandly duties!

At least the Reunion is at a Brewery! I'll raise a cold, frosty one and try to imagine it were a yummy Rum Drink and I was listening to the Gents....hey I got it....I'll bring a copy of the "Wiki Wiki Grog Shop" with me and slip it into the DJ's music selections! :D

S

I am reeeeeely going to try to be there!

Suzanne

T

Wish I could make it but I have a ticket for the annual Budget Rock event in Oakland Sat night (and Sunday).

MT

Coco Loco and I are going to be there. And we will be bringing a special guest star, Mr. Smiley!!! :) :) :) He'll be in town for a couple of days. I shamefully haven't been to Trader Vic's in San Francisco for quite a while now, so this should be great - especially with the Mai Kai Gents performing!!! It should be a fab night! Hey Lars, have some Stinkers lined up!!! :D

Anyone from the Exotic Island of Alameda (or the East Bay in general) want to caravan over together?

Man, I knew if I just kept worshiping ALL of my Tiki's that I would eventually find the one to get me outa things I really don't wanna do! :D :tiki:

Turns out that we just found out the Mrs.Mojo's High School Reunion at a brewery was supposed to cost us $45 bucks EACH....and doesn't include ANYTHING...so we're gonna bail on the Saturday Reunion and go to the Sunday Picknick...so sad :cry: ...NOT!! :lol:

So it looks as if the Mojo's will be at Trader Vic's meeting up with the TC clan for Dinner then the WONDERFUL MAI KAI GENTS!!

Life is good! :drink:

See ya there!

MT

Woooohoooo! That's great news, Dr.! We'll see you guys there!

J

On 2006-11-10 17:53, Mai Tai wrote:

Anyone from the Exotic Island of Alameda (or the East Bay in general) want to caravan over together?

I'm going, but I'm not sure what I'm doing before or after, so I can't commit to a caravan. But I'll see you guys there! This should be a blast!

Cheers!
Jen

Edited to add: Sorry, not gonna make it. See my 11/11, 11:57am post.

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2006-11-11 11:59 ]

MaiKai Gents at Trader Vics, what an incredible night!

Did they dedicate Pineapple Princess to me? :D

J

On 2006-11-11 10:56, Haole'akamai wrote:
Did they dedicate Pineapple Princess to me? :D

Well ... since it's still Saturday morning ... not yet.

J

Hey Gang,

I hate to do this, but I'm gonna have to bail on tonight. :cry: That cold that's been going around the FI TC crowd just isn't giving up on me, so I need to spend some quality time with my blanket and Nyquil.

Have a great time and somebody drink a stinker for me!

Cheers,
Jen

Aloha Ohana!
Well if you weren't there you missed a GREAT night at Trader Vic's San Francisco! :D
The Mai Kai Gents played 3 SETS...that's 4 hours to you and me! :wink:
Here are some photos and details of the evening along with some shots of the upgrades that
Trader Vic's SF has been making to make the environment even MORE TIKI!

Tiki are EVERYWHERE!

Trader Vic's World Famous Chinese Oven,(no Chinese were harmed! :lol: ), and Duck Man
the guy who de-bones your Duck for you!

New decor and not so new decor!

Ladies and Gentlemen, children of all ages please welcome THE MAI KAI GENTS!!!

Iuka Grogg, (Can you tell which one of the 2 images is him?)
Neither could I after enough Mai Tai's! :lol:

Some of the local TC Ohana showed up and took over a table up front to show their support! :drink:

Dr.TikiMojo found a drink he hadn't tried yet..."SON OF DR. FUNK".
I had to support another doctor by trying it.
YUM!...only problem is that if you take too long it becomes an island! DRINK FAST!!!

When's the last show that you saw the singer go out into the crowd and serenade a lady?
Don Ho would be proud!

Flaming Scorpion Bowls gave the band all the energy they needed!

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY" was sung at least 3 times, (I lost count), and the Gents got things so fired up
people started DANCING IN THE ISLES!! :P

Ending with a BANG the Gents ripped into a wild version of "PIPELINE" that
left the members with bleeding fingers and the audience with happy hearts!

The good Doctor Mojo over heard that the MAI KAI GENTS were asked to come back to
Trader Vic's San Francisco 3 NIGHTS A WEEK UP UNTIL AND INCLUDING NEW YEARS EVE!
To find out the exact nights and times you should call Trader Vic's SF and ask,
"WHEN ARE THE MAI KAI GENTS PLAYING AGAIN? WE LOVE THE MAI KAI GENTS!" :D

[ Edited by: Dr.TikiMojo 2006-11-13 01:30 ]

Aloha! Thanks so much for the great photos, Dr. It was great to have you and the Tiki Central gang there! What a night! Beautiful venue, enthusiastic and fun crowd, tons of tropical tippling tonics, bountiful birthdays (I recall singing that song six times!)...
Thanks so much to you, Tiki Central ohana, for you support. It seems as if we will be playing there with some regularity in the future and I'll keep you posted. Mahalo.

-Weird Unc

Excellent, but I think Iuka Grog was doing all the singing, not you.
Great to see that you got a regular gig...if the stars align properly, we might be able to enjoy it someday, too.

Ran

On 2006-11-16 12:26, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Excellent, but I think Iuka Grog was doing all the singing, not you.

Yeah, but Weird Unc sings with more feeling...

Such a wonderful time! Thank goodness it was a nice, ear-friendly band like the Maikai Gents performing Happy Birthday -- it got pretty ridiculous!

Don't miss seeing the Maikai Gents featured on TV! Check out this thread in Tiki Music for more details -- the show is airing tonight in the Bay Area, and will also be airing in other cities like San Diego, Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Dallas, Washington DC, Miami, Philadelphia and Hartford, CT.

Here are my pictures:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/maikaitvsf/

:down: I could only see Judd & this tiki from where I was sitting:

:down: Judd serenades the crowd:

:down: Duck and cover [song]:

:down: Mr. Smiley:

:down: Coco Loco & Mai Tai:

:down: Coco Loco:

:down: Conga Mike & Mr. Smiley:

:down: Mrs. Tiki Mojo & cynfulcynner:

:down: cynfulcynner, and a good shot of the odd "we went to Cost Plus and stocked up on laundry hampers and wastebaskets and hung them from the ceiling with fishing line" additions to the decor (which while silly, are still a big improvement):

:down: Dr. Tiki Mojo & Hanford:

:down: Coco Loco & me:

Congratulations on such a fun event, and a great gig -- I look forward to more!

MT

I'm posting my pics a little late, but better late than never. Actually, everyone else's pics came out better than mine, so here are just a few more to round things out.

Group photo - everyone say TIKI!!!

Everyone's favorite dessert - SNOWBALLS!!!

Pages: 1 21 replies