Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

How old are these?

Pages: 1 5 replies

MN

Rockler had a swapmeet on Sunday and the only thing I felt good about buy were a few draw knives. Did you know people collect things like old woodworking tools. Those people are total dorks.:D

Anyways, since I am new to carving and am not able to spot a great deal on chisels I picked up some draws. A new one is $75, sheesh. Ones that are 100 years old are about $20.
Heck yeah I bought a $20 draw. And a $10 & $15.

I am not a total newb. I knew that just cuz an item that is stamped 1837 does not mean that it was made in 1837.

They came pre-sharpened. Or is it just sharpened?

They seem to work well so far.

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Nov 7, 2006 9:32 AM

i'd say they are early 20th cent. they are forged which is a good thing. some of the newer ones are stamped. these are easier to sharpen, and will take a nice edge. due to steel becoming more refined through the years, a newer, forged piece will keep an edge longer, but these are very good tools.

or, i could be totally wrong. i did just make all that up.

How well do they skin logs? That's all that matters, right? :wink:

Which Rocklers had the swap meet? Are they having any more? The $75 price tag is the only thing that's kept me from buying one so far.

A-A

MN

On 2006-11-07 12:41, Aaron's Akua wrote:
How well do they skin logs? That's all that matters, right? :wink:

Which Rocklers had the swap meet? Are they having any more? The $75 price tag is the only thing that's kept me from buying one so far.

A-A

It was San Diego. I am on the email list and didn't know about it until Meiko mentioned it.
I say call your local Rock and ask when the next one is for them. Or they seem to be pretty cheap on fleabay except you don't know how much it needs to be sharpened. When you can injure yourself at time of purchase you know the item is in good condition.

My first skinning with the (new to me) old/old stock was fine. The first logs I ever skinned were for the Left Coast 'Oki 'Oki weeks prior to. That let me know what I was in for, as far as carving goes. I did use someone's draw at the 'Oki 'Oki. Let me tell you, I could've cut myself in half and not known for a week.:o
Anyways, the big one cuts fine.

I always forget your name when I see you, but then I realize that you do not have one...

Did you guys know I'm a big fan of the Ryobi planer? Well I am!
For six dollars less than the draw knife:

I never used a draw knife, but I'vw always been happy with the results and amount of labor spent with this tool. The logs in the background were stripped this week. It usually takes about 20 minutes to do a 5' log
If you look real close, you can see your reflection in the log. It's that smooth!(not)

Cobain says Hi

Buzzy Says Out!

MN

Hey Cobain, hey Buzzy,
Erik the Red here. Arrgghh, matey!
Yeah, I am sweatin to the oldies. I think it took me 20 minutes to do an 18 inch log. But it was 20 inches across. :)

Pages: 1 5 replies