Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

read this before going to vegas!!

Pages: 1 2 replies

..just got back from vegas and wanted to mention first friday's in vegas....basically awhile back the mayor of vegas decided to bring more culture in the way of art to sin city...The result is a really cool grassroots type art event called first fridays in which on the first friday of every month, galleries(located in the ghetto district between old vegas(fremont st.) and new vegas....located just off main st. open their doors to folks to view various artworks...there are food vendors, craft vendors and live music going on from 6 p.m. till about 11....I've been to many street fest/gallery walks in my time....most of which are loaded to the gills with fat, mouth breathing, middle amercan squares with no clue....this event, because it's in it's infancy, is just the opposite...more hipsters and fun folk than squares. we had a blast!! saw a surf band called "vista iv"...got to check out some of the hidden antique shops on the block, peruse the galleries (saw a bunch of shag prints, gambino's grinch painting and a mark ryden painting, which incidentally sold for $60,000)...also, check out a new bar close to the action called "The ART BAR" on main st....boasting "LOOSEST SLUTS AND SLOTS IN LAS VEGAS"....great place!! the crowd there is more diverse in both age and style than my other favorite bar, the double-down.

if you are traveling to vegas or live in vegas i reccommend going to first friday's...

also checked out Lee's tiki room at the main st. antique mall...great space!! i found a couple rare mugs in another vendors booth but left alot of stuff behind....including four paper drink umbrellas from the aku-aku (name spelled out on the umbrellas) located in a display case across from the coffee shop....if anyone want's to grab em...they were $10 for all four......

have fun!!

-tips.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2006-11-08 11:07 ]

How was the CRAMPS show??

M

The Devo show was great last Saturday-hope your bday was a blast. The Vista IV were Inky's band for her birthday party last year and they were great-their version of Billy Jean was a party favorite! I will try to get those drink umbrellas for my very small collection of souvenir umbrellas!

Pages: 1 2 replies