Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Veteran's Day Nov 11th.

Pages: 1 9 replies

D
dibroc posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 3:25 PM

hey i know this is has nothing to do with tiki but I hope it fits here.

First Nov 11th is Veteran's Day. I wanted to take a moment to thank all my brothers and sisters who served. If you are at the Tonga Hunt Saturday night I owe you a drink.

Also a little shout out, if are from southern calif or will be in the area of Knott's Berry Farm this month vets and family get in for free. Check http://www.knottsberryfarm.com for the details.

As a Veteran I say Thanks for your Thanks! And Thanks for my Dad, who has an Agent Orange related condition, my husband a Gulf War combat veteran, and my sisters husband a veteran and many other family members!

One of my fondest memories is of living in Germany in the mid-eighties. On November 11th the school children come around singing a song of thanks to all the military members. We lived on the economy and it still makes me tear up with the sweetness of it. After they sang you gave them cookies or a bit of money! That is still Armistice Day there!

K

Nice thread!

I would also like to thank everyone for their service.
K.

TM

Thank you!

(U.S. Army 1984-88)

A

Thank for giving us a salute!

(Active Duty Coast Guard)

GO!

Never enough MAHALOS to the Vets and the Enlisted!

You ROCK!!!

Much respect to all those who have served as well!

And, happy b-day to all the devil dogs on Saturday!!

semper fi,

DG

Thank you veterans and active service memebers and to all those who have passed on.

My Uncle, who is 83, is a P.O.W. from WWII. He was a gunner for the Marines, held captive in Corregidor, was in the Bataan Death March. Yesterday was the Marine Corps birthday, for the first time he told me what it was like for him during that time. He's told all the fellas but never us gals, I've heard it all second hand, but never from him directly. He told me how he caught and killed iguanas for food, how they would hide them from the guards and either eat them raw or dry them in the sun to make jerkey. How during the march they took turns carrying other soldiers to keep them from getting shot. How he lost so much weight, by the time they were released he was in the hospital, barely alive. Coincidentally it's how he met my Aunt, she was a Navy Nurse and was taking care of him. She said all the G.I.s used to hit on her but she always politely refused, but for some reason she fell instantly for my Uncle. They've been married since 1946, just celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary. It was a special moment for me to actually hear his stories first hand. I will never forget it.

D

I think that story will stay wil me as well. Semper Fi!

Pages: 1 9 replies