Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

daikaiju

Pages: 1 23 replies

if anyone here hasnt heard this band yet and even remotely enjoys surf rock, check them out now at http://www.myspace.com/daikaiju

if anyone heres seen them live, how are they?...i saw some you tube clips that were awsome....i seriously cannot stop listening to them....man i'd like to get them to come play here in champaign!

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Nov 9, 2006 6:01 AM

They are from Chattanooga and I saw them a few years ago. Oddly, live, they had some very Rush sounding tunes. Good stuff though. I enjoyed them a lot and afterwards talked to them. I mentioned that they reminded me of Los Straitjackets with the music and the masks, etc. and they had not heard of them! Seriously!

yeah, diakaiju are much more technical than most surf bands ive heard....the footage i saw had chinese masks,chinese go go dancers possibly some godzilla movies playing in the background(cant remember if thats right) but it looked great, and they had some great musicianship for sure!

K

Mahalo, HB--
Now I can't stop listening either!
K.

A few years ago, they did a tour with a band from the Netherlands called
the Anacondas.
I saw 3 or 4 shows( sorry can't recall perfectly) but I was blown away by them. really good mix of Surf/ metal/jazz/bluegrass,
ha ha ha what a mix, but it worked,

if you guys like surf have you checked out http://www.surfguitar101.com

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-11-13 10:17 ]

yeah,ive seen that site. http://www.reverbcentral.com is pretty great too

Reverb Central is a great site for reviews of cds.

But surfguitar101 is a discussion web site like tiki central is.
enjoy.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

good lord, if anyone knows daikaiju tell them to tour the midwest asap, i GOTTA see these guys live!

Great band and cd. Love some of the song titles.....Attack Of The Crab Women.......The Trouble With Those Mothra Girls........Farewell To Monster Island. You may want to contact TC member GAVIN for more info as they are on his label.

http://www.reptilerecords.com/

bongo, actually it was gavin who turned me on to them, i just gotta see them live!

I was given their cd (red/orange cover) a while ago and just now played it today. I didn't know what to expect but played it all day in Mugoomba (to Jorge & Hortencia in the warehouse - I only heard the bass beat) and they said at the end of the day, collaboratively, "We like it - play it more often!". If Jorge likes it, it's gotta be good!

Ho! That is good stuff. Another masked surf band out of Tennessee, who woulda thunk. Here is the engrish description of the band taked from their Myspace page:

"Who is the Daikaiju? Kabuki men deliver most high rocket music. Special reverb skill combo for full impact! Loud Roken-Roll for earful pleasure!"

Impressive radiation of hyper-dimensional springy sound, divine psychedelic wind for your special liking.

Worship Psycho-surf band Daikaiju daily for good luck and health!

Thanks for the heads up lads.
Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

Any fans of intricate, guitar-driven rock owe it to themselves to become aware of this band.
It is truly a unique ensemble and will definitely blow your mind live!

There will be a very rare chance to catch them live at Don the Beachcomber on Monday, September 20.

More information HERE

sweet!!

Was just noticing, Daikaiju will play the night of the Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale...

09.23 - TBA
09.24 - 9PM - Red Devil Lounge - San Francisco, CA
09.25 - 9PM - The Blue Fin - Monterey, CA

09.26 - 8PM - 924 Gilman - Berkeley, CA

09.27 - 8PM - The Stag - Sacramento, CA

I like yer thinking sir,
multiple events in a day/night.

have fun.

I'm going to see Daikaiju 3 times in So. Cal.

Jeff(btd)

Love Daikaiju. Prog Surf? Tight as a rusty hinge.

Just realized there was a thread on here about Daikaiju! Great band! I haven't seen them live, but they apparently kick major ass. They've played at a venue with Kaiju Big Battel, which if you didn't know, is also awesome....they're not a band, but I seriously recommend looking into it. I'll just put it this way. It's a mix of Japanese monsters, mexican wrestling and pure-awesome. Oh and if you like Daikaiju, also look into Peelander-Z, they'll be playing at this years Warped Tour if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: I should add Peelander-Z is not surf, they're more in the punk/rock genre, but they're hilarious.

[ Edited by: PockyTiki 2011-02-18 07:45 ]

J

I once had a conversation about this band at DTBC with Art Snyder.

He was horrified !!

If Surf music is Tiki, then this band is REALLY pushing that limit.

I found this band through this thread about a month ago, really love surf guitar music and dug the sci-fi and giant monster movie theme (I ironically have wrote a couple giant monster themes). I saw they were playing in South Florida in Miami this month, then I noticed they were playing a bar in Fort Lauderdale 5 minutes from me, I was blown away by their show, with only about 5 people and a couple older people that was just there anyways they could of come out and just half-assed it, instead they come running out like maniacs all over the bar jamming fiercely, I wasn't expecting the show they put on. Listening to their cd now is almost anticlimatic. It's refreshing to see people put some effort into it!

I just saw them in Tallahassee, FL.
They were really loud... had the most amazing energy... and could play the hell out of those guitars... and drums too... :)

oh by the Way,
they (DaiKaiju)
will be (one) of the 8 bands playing the SG101 convention in So. Cal.
Sat. Aug. 13th
whole weekend of shows is Fri. to Sun.

one week before Tiki Oasis.
plan yer vacation now,
take off a whole week and come do both.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

I was just listening to some Daikaiju on Pandora (an online radio thing) and one of the bands it recommended to me was "Man or Astroman?". Really cool surf style.

Pages: 1 23 replies