Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Heywood Wakefield - bamboo chairs

Pages: 1 8 replies

D

the offcial identification and value guide, doesnt list the chairs i've found (not that the guide reflects what H-W stuff actually sells for...)

any idea what a pair of chairs, original condition, original cushions should go for?

thanks in advance
elicia

BB

If they are "bent" they are not Bamboo! Do you mean Rattan?

D

On 2003-01-03 09:17, bamboo ben wrote:
If they are "bent" they are not Bamboo! Do you mean Rattan?

you're probably right.. but it could also be bent ash ~ (Ashcraft by HeyWake) the book doesnt have many pictures of the rattan line.

so, they'll deal down to 400 for the pair of chairs.. which seems pretty good (hm, then i'll need a good upholsterer to make cushions!)

elicia

D

now that i know how to post pictures ~ heres my latest find! now i need to make new covers.. these are so comfy!

A

I recently recovered the cushions for a rattan set.

I made the cushions reversable so you can flip 'em over and change the look. It was the first time I did this and it came out pretty good. I recomend you read a little about it in a NEW upholstery book. It was pretty easy. I will say that the last one I made are better than the first ones.
Mahalo,
Al

ohgads, those are beautiful cushions!! Shelley ~ you're my TikiStewart! i've been reading online descriptions of slipcovers, and they're lacking details.. which book(s) do you recommend??

A lot of Rattan comes "skinless" without the burned off leaf areas. Looks like ash. Then there are a lot of ash tables that they made look like Skinless Rattan. I think it was over seas versus over here, or?. You can tell by the grain too. Rattan, long running grain. Ash, short un-even grain. Rattan is usually 1/2" to 1 3/4 ". Rattan is mega sharper when split. Sliced my hand wide open(to the bones!) a while back. Bamboo? only spliters under my nails and through my skin. Most anything you see with the "pretzel" or round and Mohogany tops will be rattan. Just a few thoughts of what I know about the stuff. enjoy it all! It's all cool! and good to the heart!

Dogbytes... Your chair looks like it's from the AshCraft line. I don't know why the books/guides always ignore AshCraft, it's like the bastard son of Heywood Wakefield.
I have a couple of AshCraft side chairs I had re-upolstered. They turned out pretty well... I'll post some pics of them in their natural habitat soon.

Anyway, I heard that the AshCraft line was started by Heywood Wakefield in response to the popularity of tropical/rattan. During and shortly after WWII it was very difficult and expensive to get rattan from southeast asia, so they decided to use ash instead. You can see where they have burned rings around the wood to make it look like rattan.

Aloha

:tiki:

yep. these are HeyWake, with the original tags sewn and stapled on the frame..

i have the guidebook, and you're right, theres little written about ashcraft. certainly they didnt give the price range of the stuff.

im happy. just need to pick the fabric, and borrow a sewing machine!

elicia

Pages: 1 8 replies