Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

MY FIRST sculpted Tiki!! Feedback PLEASE....

Pages: 1 3 replies

C

Hi all....Ive been posting with my sandblasted, carved glass Tiki designs.
I recently began collaborating with a silversmith, jewelery maker and I will be learning mold making, hence, I will be trying to make molds from my carved glass pieces.
I also picked up some clay to see how I could sculpt the designs to make shots, etc.
These are sort of prototypes, but I think I'm onto a good start. I haven't played with clay in years!
We will be doing a variety of designs, but I have a lot of fun making the Tiki.
I haven't looked too much into using ceramics yet,until then I will start with pewter and some silver.
The small pendants will hang from silver bones that are already made.(the pendants got washed out in photograph).
The other two would be shot glasses.
What do you guys think of these? Also, would anyone want shots made from pewter, as well as jewelery...and some silver? I haven't seen much with metals around.
I appreciate your thoughts.
Kyle

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 13, 2006 5:50 PM

Silver and other metal objects would be cool, but kinda wierd - not very tropical islandish. Something like a pirate shotty might be more appropriate?

Designs look good, but maybe spend a bit more time getting the lines cleaner?

B

Cherokee, thise look pretty darned good. What is the next step?

C

Thanks for the words...Yep, I will try getting a more polished look. Also, any advice on how I can get the ceramics work subbed out? The studio I'll be doing the metal works isn't set up for ceramics, and making these with metals would be expensive and unnecessary.
Benzart...next step?? Hmm...kinda' goin' with it. I'd love to see these sort of things come to life by way of production. Combine this with my glass carving and the new metal works, I'll be making a lot of fun stuff!
Any tips or advice are greatly appreciated!

Pages: 1 3 replies