Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

glass tiki mug?

Pages: 1 7 replies

A

While making some drinks the other night and pouring them into tiki mugs, it occured to me that it was a shame that you can't see the pretty colors of tropical cocktails through a clay mug. So I began to wonder, is there such a thing as a tiki mug made out of molded glass? It seems to me that if you can get glass mugs molded in various shapes (even boots) why not tikis? But I can't seem to find any. Does anyone know if such a thing is available?

There are several:

Only most are not as interesting looking as the painted ceramics!

K

I use this one the most:

same here . . whenever we are having a glas of wine , that's the one I use !

Cherokee, a TCer makes acid etched pint glass. At least one of them is tiki.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21555&forum=12&0

(In general I really really really hate it went someone does what I'm about to do...Post a reply to a particular question with a question questioning the question the questioner asked. Somethin' like "Beans? Why beans? Why not carrots???" But anyway...)

arriano, you've clearly demonstrated an appreciation for the actual physical beauty of a well made drink. I suggest that beauty be lifted up in any clear vessel that strikes your fancy. Others (such as me!) agree that Tiki mugs ain't so great for every drink out there.

For that ideal imitation of paradise there can be such a thing as too much Tiki. Island gods on every danged inch of a room and in every danged hand can lead to a visual glut and give the feeling you're in a retail environment. The images of drinks and drinkers I find most appealing are the ones where a wide variety of vessels are displayed with the tropical aspects of the drinks which are not not served in Tiki mugs hinted at with various garnishes and presentations. The pictures in The Book Of Tiki on pages 19, 45, and 158-159 make me thirsty every time I see them. And it's not the Tiki mugs doin' it.

Now that I think about it......I was in an "antique" store and they had several styles of highball glasses that appeared to be old enough and hand painted with palms and other beachy themes.
A highball glass with hand painted tropical scenes would match a mai tai well.

A

Thanks all for your words of wisdom and deep thoughts. I noted also that Tiki Ti serves drinks in glass, but apparently because people kept making off with the mugs rather than because you could see da purdy colerz.

BTW, where do you get those glass goblets with the faces?

[ Edited by: arriano 2006-11-17 09:56 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies