Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Donn Beach centennial - February 22, 2007

Pages: 1 30 replies

T

Earnest Raymond Beaumont Gant - aka Donn Beach - would have been 100 on this coming February 22nd.

Seeing as how the ball was largely dropped in celebrating Trader Vic's 100th a few years ago (I called Trader Vic's a week before hand, and with the exception of a nice little party in Emeryville, and a very small gatehering in Chicago, nothing happened), it would be nice to get back in good with the Tiki Gods by planning local Donn Beach centennial events all over the country.

The only Don the Beachcomber restaurant open is the first in a chain of new ones in Kailua-Kona (Big Island of Hawaii), but I think that synchronized bashes in all of our home Tiki Bars or favorite local Tiki joints is in order.

Anyone want to start throwing ideas around for a coordinated series of parties

[ Edited by: tikibars 2007-02-13 15:05 ]

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-17 17:42 ]

On 2006-11-21 13:01, filslash wrote:
Aloha,

I will share a nice bottle of rum with an old friend! I know exactly where.

The Banyan tree wasn't afected by the "Renovation"? :D

On 2006-12-14 16:58, freddiefreelance wrote:
The Banyan tree wasn't afected by the "Renovation"? :D

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-17 17:44 ]

G

My birthday is Feb 19. I'll be nowhere near 100, but I'll be more than happy to accept gift bottles of rum in honor of the great Donn Beach. Just think of him as you're sending them to me. It won't hurt my feelings, honest.

On 2006-11-18 15:50, tikibars wrote:

...The only Don the Beachcomber restaurant open is the first in a chain of new ones in Kailua-Kona (Big Island of Hawaii)...

Actually, Don the Beachcomber in Maui was still open (in their halfhearted manner) when we were there three days after you wrote this. Its days are numbered, but the bulldozers aren't there yet. Definitely not worth a long trip, but people in the area should set up a party HQ there.

P

On 2006-11-18 15:50, tikibars wrote:

...The only Don the Beachcomber restaurant open is the first in a chain of new ones in Kailua-Kona (Big Island of Hawaii)...

*On 2006-12-18 08:37, Tonga Trader wrote:*Actually, Don the Beachcomber in Maui was still open (in their halfhearted manner) when we were there three days after you wrote this. Its days are numbered, but the bulldozers aren't there yet. Definitely not worth a long trip, but people in the area should set up a party HQ there.

I think the key point of tikibars' post is that the Maui location is not currently being operated as a restaurant. Just as a bar and lounge under Don's name in the location of the former restaurant. Although according to the hotel...when the renovations are finished, the new Don's at this Maui property will return to being a restaurant and bar, just like on the Big Island.

:)

On 2006-12-18 12:49, PremEx wrote:

I think the key point of tikibars' post is that the Maui location is not currently being operated as a restaurant. Just as a bar and lounge under Don's name in the location of the former restaurant. Although according to the hotel...when the renovations are finished, the new Don's at this Maui property will return to being a restaurant and bar, just like on the Big Island.

Okay. I did see the word "restaurant" in his post, thought about it, and couldn't think of any reason why a functional restaurant - or lack thereof - would have any relevance to a Donn Beach 100th anniversary party. When I was researching my trip there recently, I found it was a little unclear whether it was closed already or not, so I thought it deserved mentioning, in case anyone else was unclear as well. Anyone who is on Maui that day should go. Besides, they'll give you all the pretzels and wasabi peas you want. :)

P

I found it was a little unclear whether it was closed already or not, so I thought it deserved mentioning, in case anyone else was unclear as well. Anyone who is on Maui that day should go.

Agree! Especially because this Royal Lahaina Hotel Don's location, was once an original full-bore fabulous Don The Beachcomber restaurant and bar (which I used to frequent right there in that same building) in the late 70's and 80's).

So even though the Big Island has a new restaurant called Don The Beachcomber, it's not actually one of the original ones that Donn himself might have had a hand in, or at least visited at one point before he passed away in 1989.

But the Maui location...even though it's currently just a bar using Don's name...was at one time the "real thing."

BTW...I'm not in any way disparaging the new Big Island Don The Beachcomber in any way. I'm just saying that for true historic "Donn" locales...the Maui location is the only one left that's still standing and still called Don The Beachcomber.

FYI, we still have the building that used to house the old full Don The Beachcomber restaurant here in Marina Del Ray, California. And it still looks much the same. See:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21785

Perhaps I can drift over to pay some sort of tribute to this great man, on February 22nd. After a couple of tropical drinks across the way at The Warehouse Restaurant. :wink:

O

How about a TC party there? Maybe we can get them to open the old Don the Beachcomber up on that day and have our own Don Beach memorial.
We could deck out part of interior for the day, I have a number of items to contribute mats, wall covering, flotsam and Von Tiki said he could bring tiki. Maybe OA can contribute. We could have a band or LP's & BBQ. The Marina Del Rey Hotel might go for the idea of making it into a event space especially for Don's 100th. I'm willing to help if anyone else has the event experience to make it happen and pull it off. Any one interested?

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-12-18 19:56 ]

T

In honor of the 100th birthday of Donn Beach, creator of some of the most astounding cocktails ever cocncocted, and contender for the title of founding father of Polynesian Pop, I am having a small gathering of cocktail fanatics and Tiki worsippers over on Sunday.

All TC-ers are welcome.
If I know you, show up.
If I don't know you, PM me, say hi, and show up.
I'll send directions to those who need them via PM.
I am in Chicago near Western and Touhy.

I will be mixing up Don's most famous recipes: Zombie, Missionary's Downfall, and Dr. Funk, with highest-quality ingredients, following classic recipes to the letter.

I have the drinks nailed down, but since I can't cook, you're welcome (not obligated) to bring munchies or Hors D'oeuvres.

Being a Sunday, and also since I have neighbors, it will be a fairly early gathering.

Sunday, February 11,
4 PM to 10 PM.

Sorry, I can't do it on THE DAY (Feb 22), the 11th is the only day I can do this.

See you for a Zombie on Sunday in honor of Donn!

The first of the Donn Beach centennial celebrations is history.

Don the Beachcomber Zombie (from Intoxica), Don's Rum Punch (from Grog Log) and Missionary's Downfall (Tiki Road Trip version - I like the honey) were all consumed in both quality and quantity. The last four men standing at the end of the night shared a concoction made with Orgeat, Pampero rum, Grand Marnier, lime juice, and a mint sprig, but the name of this drink may not be uttered, lest we offend the ghost of honor.

We had a nice mix of about 15 TC and FOM people and about another dozen malahinis.
A good number of people for a meeting in the Aku Hall.

Mahalo nui for gracing Aku Hall with your presence, and for toasting the founding father of Polynesian Pop (or, his ghost at least).

You guys all came through in briging a TON of food, and the only casualty of the night was my conch shell, which decided to leap off of a window sill and die rather than have me blow it again.
It's penultimate act was sounding in honor of Joe and Roger's heroic lime-run, which enabled the creation of a final batch of Beachcomber's Punch.

Pics of the Tiki-people contingent...

Thw whole FOM gang.
This worked out nicely, ALL of the FOM members who showed up, all showed up between 4 and 6; all of my other non-FOM pals came after 6. So we were able to get a nice pic of all of the FOM people. Most (all?) of them are TC-ers too.
That's Mike (Block 16), Dave (Lake Surfer), James (tikibars), Joe (chef Dime), Roger and Mel (Exotica 59), Craig (C10), Ted and Patty (Ted Tiki).

Add Tc-er TipsymcStagger to the mix...

[ Edited by: tikibars 2007-02-13 15:12 ]

M

Don't forget to visit Forbidden Island on the 22nd for our 100th Birthday Bash.

Breaking out two great recipes for the occasion- and making a lot of my own ingredients for this one.

james, i think it was all the booze on your breath that caused your conch shell to pass out and roll off it's perch.......as a result, the poor thing died with a blood alcohol level way over the limit.

we had a good time!! thanks for the invite.....it was also nice to see familiar faces and meet some new ones as well.....lake, thanks for the cool masks!! keep finishing them up in that new style and you got a winning combo....

On 2007-02-11 10:14, tikibars wrote:
The first of the Donn Beach centennial celebrations is history.

Don the Beachcomber Zombie (from Intoxica), Don's Rum Punch (from Grog Log) and Missionary's Downfall (Tiki Road Trip version - I like the honey) were all consumed in both quality and quantity. The last four men standing at the end of the night shared a concoction made with Orgeat, Pampero rum, Grand Marnier, lime juice, and a mint sprig, but the name of this drink may not be uttered, lest we offend the ghost of honor.

We had a nice mix of about 15 TC and FOM people and about another dozen malahinis.
A good number of people for a meeting in the Aku Hall.

Mahalo nui for gracing Aku Hall with your presence, and for toasting the founding father of Polynesian Pop (or, his ghost at least).

You guys all came through in briging a TON of food, and the only casualty of the night was my conch shell, which decided to leap off of a window sill and die rather than have me blow it again.
It's penultimate act was sounding in honor of Joe and Roger's heroic lime-run, which enabled the creation of a final batch of Beachcomber's Punch.

Pics of the Tiki-people contingent...

Thw whole FOM gang.
This worked out nicely, ALL of the FOM members who showed up, all showed up between 4 and 6; all of my other non-FOM pals came after 6. So we were able to get a nice pic of all of the FOM people. Most (all?) of them are TC-ers too.
That's Mike (Block 16), Dave (Lake Surfer), James (tikibars), Joe (chef Dime), Roger and Mel (Exotica 59), Craig (C10), Ted and Patty (Ted Tiki).

Add Tc-er TipsymcStagger to the mix...

[ Edited by: tikibars 2007-02-13 15:12 ]

that's not tipsy mcstagger....it's joe cocker!!

..and i give your party two thumbs up you bastard!! you know where!!

T

On 2007-02-14 08:50, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..and i give your party two thumbs up you bastard!! you know where!!

Lol...thats funny.

It was great to finally meet you Tipsy.

LOL Tipsy you nut!

Good to see all you guys again!
You throw a excellent party James! The drinks were outa this world!

T

On 2007-02-15 05:41, exotica59 wrote:
The drinks were outa this world!

Thank Mr. Earnest Raymond Beaumont Gantt (aka Donn Beach) for that I just followed instructions!

To celebrate the Don the Beachcomber Centennial, we'll be releasing a limited Zombie mug on 22nd Feb at 12 midday uk time.

Check out http://www.cheekytiki.com/zombie, it will be live at 12pm GMT

P

So is anything in the works for a hoity toity tribute to the man in SoCal? I was thinking of going to Tiki Ti tonight but it is looking like I will not be able to make it. Perhaps tomorrow is better to lift the closest thing to a DtB Zombie in tribute to the Father of Tiki or, as Beachbum Berry has called him, Dad The Beachcomber.

So, good places for a potential hoity toity celebration are:

Tiki Ti - founded by one of Don's "Four Boys" and where Don's drinks are still served.

The Warehouse - closest tiki like bar to what was once upon a time a real Don The Beachcomber's.

O

A few of us are meeting at the Warehouse Restaurant in Marina Del Rey this Thursday Febuary 22 anytime after 4PM , have Mai Tai's ,I mean Zombies and carpool over around 5:30PM to the old Don the Beachcomber site and offer a toast Donn as the sun goes down. Please join us.

P

A few of us are meeting at the Warehouse Restaurant in Marina Del Rey this Thursday Febuary 22 anytime after 4PM , have Mai Tai's ,I mean Zombies and carpool over around 5:30PM to the old Don the Beachcomber site and offer a toast Donn as the sun goes down.

Looks like I'll be able to join in at Marina Del Rey to hoist one to the Donn at the Warehouse, and then over to my old hangout...the former Don The Beachcomber restaurant. :)

See you tomorrow!

P

Happy Birthday Donn!

I'm on my way to your little party right now. :)

P

Too early for me. I would love to join you but I am going to be working late tonight. Unavoidable, I'm afraid. Take pictures (of course you will) and I will try to be with you in spirit.

But if I can I may try to be there in person at Tiki Ti later tonight.

P

Too early for me. I would love to join you but I am going to be working late tonight. Unavoidable, I'm afraid. Take pictures (of course you will) and I will try to be with you in spirit.

But if I can I may try to be there in person at Tiki Ti later tonight.

May have been too early for me too. Been here almost 2 hours now and I'm still the only one here! But I am being taken care of very well by the staff. Great Happy Hour here! :)

Here's Tai number three...along with your post:

Assuming Tim got snarled in the rainy traffic somewhere. But if he doesn't show soon...I may head over to pay my repects to Donn on my own, and then head to Tiki Ti to join you! :wink:

PremEx...posting Live from The Warehouse in Marina Del Rey.

P

Tim just showed up. Got clipped in a traffic accident. Minor damage. Let the drinking begin!

O

Well as Premex mentioned, I got there late due to a traffic mishap on PCH. Bora Boris,Premex and I raised our Mai Tai's to Donn on his 100th. Sorry about the bad weather that kept some of you away.

All the world is a stage and all men and women merely players, they have their entrances and exits and one man in his time plays many parts. William Shakespere
(Especially Donn Beach)
Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-23 07:18 ]

Happy Birthday Donn!

Ojaitimo and PremEx, it was great to meet you guys and I look forward to meeting for drinks at The Warehouse again.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2007-02-22 21:30 ]

P

Ojaitimo and PremEx, it was great to meet you guys and I look forward to meeting for drinks at The Warehouse again.

Great to meet you too, and to see Ojaitimo again! Great evening and several toasts to the memory of Don The Beachcomer had me feeling no pain! :wink:

The evening started out all grey and damp with much cold rain. Somehow I imagine Donn being born on a warm grass mat on some sunny tropical isle, in the shade of a gently swaying coconut tree. So at first, I was kinda thinking this weather wasn't very appropriate for this man of the sun's birthday. But then feeling all the warmth of the tropical concoctions that he helped make famous...made me think that it was precicely for such situations, that Donn created what he did. :)

Afterwords when I walked out of The Warehouse, the clouds had parted, the stars were out, and it had turned into a beautiful evening. So before heading home, I drove over to the now empty but still standing Don The Beachcomber restaurant building on Bali Way at Marina Del Rey.

It was kinda eerie standing there with nobody around and the cold wind whipping though the still standing palm trees. You could almost imagine the sound of happy customers coming from within the now empty former home of Don's. The place still would make a wonderful Poly restaurant and bar. It's in great shape.

I took this photo of the moon rising above the gentle slopping roof of the old Don's on his 100th birthday:

..and also shot a few seconds of crappy cell phone video of this former palace of good food and drink on this special occasion:

http://members.aol.com/premex/uploads/tiki/donbeachMDR022207.3g2

Cheers to you Donn! And Thanks for all you did for all us poor souls in search of good food, good drink, good tiki, and good fun.

T

101!

Mauoli Hanau!

Pages: 1 30 replies