Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kahiki Fireplace Trivia Contest - New question 3/25/07 (page 5)

Pages: 1 2 77 replies

T

I thought I'd start a thread dealing with the Kahiki fireplace, and also make it a bit of a contest. So the first trivia question is:

How tall is the Kahiki fireplace?

The winning entry will be the one that is the exact foot measurement. (Don't worry about inches or fractions of inches. Give your answer in whole feet.)

The winner will receive a box of brand-spanking 'new old stock' Kahiki matches, as pictured below.

If people enjoy this contest, I will have other trivia questions in the future, with other FAB-ulous prizes!

[ Edited by: tikigreg 2007-03-25 11:15 ]

On 2006-11-19 13:10, tikigreg wrote:

How tall is the Kahiki fireplace?

Aloha Greg,

Dr.TikiMojo believes big Tiki God fireplace to be 40' Foot tall! :tiki:

T

Aloha Greg,

Dr.TikiMojo believes big Tiki God fireplace to be 40' Foot tall! :tiki:

Aloha Dr. TikiMojo! Thanks for your entry, but that is not the correct answer. I will reply next when the correct footage is submitted. Keep trying! Mahalo!

F
Fugu posted on Sun, Nov 19, 2006 2:41 PM

Was it 30 feet tall?

P

I read somewhere that the fireplace was 3 stories tall. In the US, a "story" is defined as approximately 10.8 feet. That would make the fireplace about 32 feet tall.

how about 40'

It's definately 28 feet, no more, no less.

I'd say the it is....

10' to and....all the numbers, in feet inbetween... 60' feet!

Did I win???

I will say 25 feet!

P.S. You got any spare bamboo laying around? :)

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2006-11-19 17:03 ]

On 2006-11-19 17:01, Jeff Central wrote:
I will say 25 feet!

P.S. You got any spare bamboo laying around? :)

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2006-11-19 17:03 ]

Did Tiki Greg get the Kahiki Bammboo ??

T

All good guesses, but still no winner. The correct answer might surprise you!

Aw hell... I tried so many time to edit my picture I lost my spot in my guess...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-11-19 18:58 ]

I

My guess .... 21 feet tall.

Vern

let's go to 22!

Alright... I'm going with 20 feet based on measurements in a photo

T

We have a winner! Ikitnrev has correctly guessed the height! Although it looks much taller in pictures, I can confidently state that it is only 21 feet tall, as that was the measurement taken this weekend at hulacat's and tikicat's house. It is the first step in the restoration of this venerable artifact.

Vern, PM me your address, and I'll get the matches out to you.

Keep a look out for another trivia question soon.

Mahalo!

T

OK, time for a new contest question! Here's a picture of the Kahiki fireplace:

Question: What about the fireplace changed between the time it was originally installed and this picture was taken.

(Hint: It's not the lightbulbs or the logs in the hearth.)

First right answer gets a package of Kahiki matches as seen on page 1. Good Luck!

His colorful flowery goatee was added?

The painting was always there around the mouth, but it was changed from swirl designs to the star/flower ones shown in this picture.

[ Edited by: junglehunt82 2006-11-29 17:39 ]

T

That didn't take long! Yes, the artwork was changed at some point from a swirl pattern, which can be seen in older menus and this picture.

If anyone knows when the change occured, please let us know!

junglehunt82, PM me your address, and I'll get the matches out to you pronto. New question in a few days.

Aloha!

T

OK folks, trivia question time again! This one should be a little harder to answer! At the Bon Voyage Kahiki party held on August 26th, 2000, there was a cake at the event which featured the Kahiki fireplace on the top made out of frosting. There was also something written on the top of the cake.

Question: What were the words written on the cake?

Since this is a toughie, I'm going to make the prize a little more enticing. First correct answer will get a set of new, in-the-package tiki coasters shown below

Have fun!

How about "Bon Voyage Kahiki" or "Good Bye Kahiki"

..i think it said "we'll always have columbus"

..or was it "...rosebud."

"Happy Birthday Sven" :)

Jeff

T

Like I said, this was a toughie... unless you were there! Congrats to Jeff Central for getting the correct answer! Here's a picture of the cake:

Sven's birthday was the day after the event, so someone (Jeff?) baked him a cake. PM me your address Jeff, and I'll get the coasters out to you.

New question soon! Aloha!

On 2006-12-07 13:33, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..i think it said "we'll always have columbus"

..or was it "...rosebud."

oh my god, tipsy mcstagger, you are too funny!! I just realized what your bizarre answer refered too!! In the movie casa blanca when bogey says to becall, "we'll always have paris" as they were departing at the airstrip and in the movie citizen kane, the opening scene where his final dying words were "...rose bud"

made perfect sense!! Hahhahhahhhhaaa!

..thanks tipsy!!

..no.....thank YOU, tipsy

T

Another mai tai for Mr McStagger!

T

OK, well the holidays are behind us, and it's time to work off a few of those pounds by expending some brain energy. This question comes to us courtesy of tikiskip, Kahiki historian extraordinare!

Question:"What was right behind the fireplace?

I will qualify this question by saying that there were probably a lot of things behind it, but we want to know what was directly behind, as in directly on the other side of the wall.

The first correct answer will receive this hand-crafted moai pendant, whipped up by yours truly. (It's 2" long with a leather cord.)

Aloha!

H

The upstairs lounge.

S

That's easy:

Lee Henry's/Bill Sapp's upstairs offices

Tiki Central is so full of information, I just used the search function :)

T

Both of those answers are very close, but not exactly the answer we're looking for. Keep trying!

The stairs leading to the upstairs!

T

And jpmartdog is the winner! Yes, that was a bit of a trick question, but they can't all be too obvious. JP, PM your address and the pendant heads your way.

New question soon!

(PS - NE Ohana Rule!)

Cool TikiGreg - cant wait to get my paws on the cool Tiki pendant. Thanks for your generous contest thread. Great idea and informative too! Yes NE ohana are very cool - not many of us here in the great northeast/New England but those that are here are serious about Tiki and just a little loopy (if I do say so myself). See you at the Kowloon

T

Alrighty then! Next brain teaser!

The top of the fireplace extended about 2 feet from the wall.

Question: What can be found on the top of the head of the fireplace? (It is not visible in any photos I have seen online.)

This, I think, is a real toughie, so the first person who gives the closest correct answer with enough of a detailed description gets the prize.

This is what you win:

A moai pendant done up in a green fleckstone finish, whipped up by moi!

Good luck!

Exhaust fan?

T

Where they keep the drugs ? Did I win ?

One of those bug light things that food service places have to use?

dust, a layer about an inch thick.... and oh yeah a deflated balloon from a new years eve event and a dried sparerib bone

This guess may be a long shot ... but how about a sombrero hat?

Vern

Jimmy Hoffa's body?

A dusty fan that brought fresh air in to help the fire breath.

T

So far some good guesses, but nothing close yet. There was an exhaust fan above the top of the fireplace, but not on the top of it.

So here's a hint: It's something that was included when it was originally made, and has no functional purpose, but is part of any structure considered to have importance.

P

A plaque, or a cornerstone type of thing?

S

A giant straw, paper umbrella and a slice of pineapple

PiPhiRo is on the right track, but we need a little more detail.

Hint: Think about what the fireplace is made of, and think about what you would do if it was brand new and just being finished.

Pages: 1 2 77 replies