Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Frostiki Wood panels. **New Prints, 1-4-2007**

Pages: 1 17 replies

F

So I'm finally trying to get motivated to post some of "The Frostiki Collection" up on here. Here are four of the wood panels that I've done. I'm burning the tiki into the wood, painting some of the areas, and staining the rest, and then putting poly over the entire panel. Let us know what you think. We're going to post some of Mrs. Frostiki's painting and some of our digital art up here, as soon as I can figure out which folder they are in on the Mac.

This is the first one I did, before we hit upon our Frostiki idea.

another pre Frostiki panel

the Frositki with a scarf

and the frostiki in a winter hat, I should have used a wider panel for this one for balance in the composition.

Let us know what you thing of these, there are more to come.

visit us at http://www.frostiki.com

[ Edited by: frostiki 2007-01-04 14:56 ]

I like 'em! You get much the same effect as a carving, without 'going deep'. What are the panels? Looks like maybe a section of 1"x12". You could do some larger ones on plywood, with a Santa hat, for Christmas yard art. Or not.
I hope you'll take it as flattery if I try to "steal" your technique, or a variation of it. I've started carving a series of mask-style panels in 2"x6" redwood planks, intended to be affixed around the rails of our tiki-theme houseboat. I'm a beginner at carving, so I still work painfully slow and careful, and it's time consuming to remove a lot of wood. So, I'm thinking that I should try the wood-burned, painted/stained and sealed panels for outside, and the more 3-D carved panels for inside, where they'll be looked at up-close. I think your design would be more visible and appreciated at a distance, than the carvings I was doing.
Don't expect to have much time for this before Christmas, but I hope to make some good progress over the winter, in time to have them up for the beginning of the next boating season.

F

Lizard, I'm glad you like the panels. I will take any form of flattery that I can get, the panels are actually 1/4" thick Ash plywood. I had bought them for another project that the didn't work well for, so I cut them down into 1 foot X 2 foot panels and went to work on them. I am working on some more, but this time on real wood (cedar). I wish I could find some redwood or Koa to do them on. I am hoping that Santa will bring me some chisels, I want to give carving a try. Maybe meld the two styles. If you have an pics of you carvings I'd love to see them.

Very nice..it almost looks like glass..beautiful work

F

Thanks, that was a lot of sanding before poly and in between coats. I'm hoping to get backinto the swing of things after christmas and get a lot more of them done. I've got about 3 in various stages right now.

Y

Very nice panels. I really like the one with the hat on. Can't wait to see more of your stuff.

Hey frostiki- Now I know what you meant about burning wood! I like the last one with the hat best too. These are cool and unique.

F

Thanks, I'm glad you like the panels. YYK & Sam I'm thinking up new frostiki's with different hats as we speak, type, whatever it is we do here. After the holidays clear out, and the rush to get the house ready for the family to come visit subsides, I'm headed back out to the garage, tying myself to the work bench and cranking more out. Enough run on sentences, back to the sketchpad.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Dec 11, 2006 5:40 PM

The frostiki ones are the best :)

F

Thanks Hewey. Keep your eyes peeeled for more to come soon. I'm working on a tryptich, and a couple new ideas as well. That is If I can ever get the garage emptied out and the Xmas shopping done. This stuff was much easier before I became a home owner. I think this pride of ownership thing is great, but it gets in the way of goofing off and somtimes burning wood.

On 2006-11-28 18:17, frostiki wrote (in part):
Lizard, I'm glad you like the panels... ...If you have an[y] pics of you[r] carvings I'd love to see them.

Here you go...

Finally things slowed enough to go take some pics of my first finished carving. It's a piece of redwood 2x6, found in a pile on the curb, trash from someone's remodel project. (I love found wood!) It was soft and easy to carve, and I learned a thing or two that'll make the next one easier and/or better.
As you see, I have another identical piece of wood, and I think I'll make another one, with the top angle reversed, and mount them on either side of a sign I have hanging on the houseboat. I still need to seal it, but I'll wait till the other's finished. Then I'll probably try one carved shallower, and paint the recessed parts before staining, inspired by your panels.
A beginners observation: After buying an assortment of tools and doo-dads, all I wound up using for this was the set of 4 flat chisels, 1/4" - 1", a utility knife, a 4-way wood rasp file, and sandpaper. Start simple and cheap, would now be my advice. So, Frostiki, hope Santa remembered to bring you those chisels.

F

Lizard, those panels look cool. I like the angled top on them can't wait to see more.

Unfortunately Santa did not bring me the chisels, but I don't feel dissapointed considering he brought me lot's of dremel attachments, incluting the sanding/grinding pack, carving bits, router bits, and plunge router. Plus a bunch of new power tools and gift cards to lowes and the depot. I'm excited to get back out to the shop to start on new stuff. Now my only probelm is figuring out where to start. So many ideas, so little time.

Happy new year to you.

Wow! Now I'm looking forward to your posting pics of the first 8 foot tall, 12" diameter totem carved entirely by Dremel tool. That, or a set of Louis XIV replica furniture for a doll house.

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2007-01-02 20:51 ]

F

There will be lots of minature chesterfield chairs lining the walls of that doll house. All with inlaid hibiscus flowers and polynesian patterns.

F

I've finally gotten around to adding a few of our prints. I'd love to know what everybody thinks about them, we are working on new ideas, and would love the feedback to help us along. ANd when eer we get a working digital camera (ours goes through a set of AA batteries for two pics) we'll post some of Mrs. Frostiki's Paintings.

This was for X-mas cards

Mahalo.

Really nice! the one with the hat is the best in my vote too.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 5:54 PM

Those prints look great man! :) I prefer the square background in the last one, with the stuff edging out of frame. How about trying some googie/amoeba shaped backgrounds too? - real 50s vibe

F

TSA and Hewey, Thanks for the kind words. The one in the hat seems to be everyones favorite. hewey, I like the Googie/Retro amoebic idea. I know its hard to see in the pics online but there are the 50s style 4 point starbursts and boomerangs in the back ground of the images.

Pages: 1 17 replies