Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Tikis around Maui & Big Island (updated 7/31/08)

Pages: 1 10 replies

Aloha from the Valley Isle. Tiki seems to making a big comeback here! Everywhere you go, there seems to be more and more tiki carvings visible. Our first sightings were at the Kula
Botanical Gardens. Two years ago, I believe we encountered only one tiki on their entire grounds. This time, we easily found 5 - 3 full sized and 2 smaller. As we continue our vacation here, I will update this posting.

Aloha for now.

• Myke

Tikis at Kula Botanical Gardens, Upcountry, Maui:

Full sized trio of Ku, Lono, and Kanaloa.

Trio from the side.

Ku

Lono

Kanaloa

This tiki was alone near the enterance to the Gardens.

This tiki was colored black and vines were starting to grow around him. Also, we noticed people were putting coins in the tiki's open mouthes. Is this a normal thing to do??

We spotted some single tikis standing in different condo complexes in the Napili area. I will see if I can get some of them soon too!

edited to add pics of Kona airport Tikis.

The many personalities of Myke

[ Edited by: tikiwinebear 2008-07-31 14:02 ]

This is another good description of Maui tiki:

http://www.mauitikitours.com/west_maui.html

Thanks for that link, christiki295. Many of the tikis we photographed and found are on Mauitikitours' (Rob's) sight. We were fortunate to meet up with Rob (Mauitiki) at Lulu's in Kihei. Here he is with a Elvis Tiki at Lulu's:

I also found some fantastic tikis in a small marketplace in Kihei and met the local carver.

We stayed in West Maui in the Napili area. Walking around we were able to find a neat sign and a beautiful carving at the Napili Sands.

Every mall you went into, there was at least one cart selling carved tikis. Most were small and mask size. Comparing the prices to last year, the vendors know there is a new interest in carvings. What I found to be $40 last year was $65 - $100 this year.

• Myke

Where is the most cost effective?

I'm going to be there next month and I intend to pick one up.
Stronger mana in the tikis from da' islands.

This Tiki lives high up on the slopes of Haleakala, in the mist were clouds are pushed through the pine forest by cool trade winds.

He appears to be made of concrete.
Follow Baldwin avenue all the way up past Makawao and you'll find this guy in front of the bird sanctuary in Olinda.

I know where some more are here on Maui. I'll post some soon.

http://www.eibass.com

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2006-12-16 12:13 ]

I have seen tiki scattered about:

Ka'anapali Beach Hotel
Sheraton - carved into a pole just north of the pool bar
In front of Pacific'Os, Oi and Feast of Lele.
Maui Tropix store
Carver on Front St, across from the Pioneer Inn.

Here some tiki pis from our recent trip to Hawaii

Outdoor market in Kihei, Maui

Maui Marriott Beach Club

OK I know she's not named after the fish...but I thought it was pretty cool.
Our favorite restaurant in Maui

Excellent Maui tiki photos!

I've just returned from the Big Island (Hawaii). Since this trip was business related, I didn't have many chances to tour around Tiki-seeking. A did see a few, but didn't have my camera with me. I did locate these 2 Tikis at the Kona airport. They seem to be from the same carver, and possibly twins (or closely related). Aloha!

I am missing Kona already.
Myke

T

Kona is easy to miss...such a great place, and LOTS of Tikis there.

I love the Tikis greeting me at the airport at KOA.

Pages: 1 10 replies