Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Huli Huli Chicken

Pages: 1 2 replies

I saw this recipe on Rachel Ray's website; it seems really easy, and I know main dishes are always a challenge. I haven't tried this yet, but it's making my stomach growl!

"Huli Huli" Chicken

Chloe Osborne
From Every Day with Rachael Ray
December-January 2007

FOUR SERVINGS
Prep Time: 15 min (plus resting)
Cook Time: 40 min

Ingredients:

One 4-pound chicken, cut in half
Salt
2 cloves garlic, peeled
One 1 1/2-inch piece ginger, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
3 tablespoons chicken broth
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons frozen pineapple juice concentrate

1. Loosen the skin of the chicken breast and season underneath it with salt. Season the exterior of the chicken with more salt. Let the chicken rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. Line a broiler pan with foil and preheat the broiler.

2. Using a food processor, pulse the garlic and ginger until finely chopped. Add the brown sugar, soy sauce, broth, rice-wine vinegar and pineapple juice concentrate and process until well combined. Strain the marinade into a bowl, pressing with the back of a spoon to extract all the liquid. Discard the pulp.

3. Blot the excess salt and moisture from the chicken and place the halves skin side down on the broiler pan. Broil, turning the chicken with tongs every 5 minutes for the first 20 minutes, until the raw surfaces have cooked. Continue to cook, turning and basting with the marinade every 5 minutes, until well browned, 20 minutes longer; cover loosely with foil for the last 10 minutes. Cut into pieces and serve.

T

Too funny. Yesterday I was at the H-E-B...okay the South Texas natives are familiar with it at least (grocery store) and I was thinking "Damn, some huli huli chicken would be great!"...then heelgrinder posts this. And she's right across town. We've got to do another San Antonio tiki night!

heck yes, we do! it is simply ridiculous that we don't hang out more often :)

Pages: 1 2 replies