Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

decorating advice

Pages: 1 6 replies

D

ok..i went shopping and found this living room set. i need Martha TikiStewart to help me decorate! ~ whats your opinion?

the store will include another set of cushion covers in a maroon print..i'm thinking that 800 bux for a sofa is a good deal. thinking about getting 2 sofas.(would you believe a loveseat costs 300 more than a sofa?) and those vintage chairs...i've got rattan end tables already (although now i have to refinish them in a darker stain)..

hopelessly challenged,
elicia

Looks really nice. We bought craftsman style stuff a few years back and we have been smashing out thighs into sharp cornered wood ever since. This is true, (to an extent.) After a while you learn your routes through the room safely. The items you are considering, while similar in style to craftsman, is way more tiki and, potentially, way more easy on the legs.

H

I like 'em! How comfortable are they, though? The cushions look simple enough that you could recover them easily yourself with some upholstery-grade barkcloth. Here in town, Hawai'i General Store in Wallingford has some nice barkcloth, but I'm not sure they've got upholstery stuff; Reprodepot Fabrics is in Burien, they're small, but all cool fabrics, including some barkcloth; and the last time I was at Pacific Fabrics at the big Northgate store, they had a number of barkcloth upholstery fabrics, but they weren't all together in one place.

You don't want to go all Laura Ashley, but you could do coordinated throw pillows and curtains.

D

I love it! I want to buy one of those palm tree lights thats shaped like a palm tree and made out of wicker I believe. I would start with the pattern you have and recover later as you get use to it. Put alot of greenery(tall plants) and paint the room with a warm cream or buttery yellow to warm it up some. And then deco with what you have. But it looks great-green with envy here. My boyfriend wants black leather so we're shopping today. He's pretty good at letting me do whatever to our house put that's one thing he does want. I do recommend a jute rug to add to the decor of the room. It's all about texture and color. I've also seem where they put fake palm frons on a ceiling fan and it really looked cool if done right and with the right room so it doesn't stand out so much.

D

I love it! I want to buy one of those palm tree lights thats shaped like a palm tree and made out of wicker I believe. I would start with the pattern you have and recover later as you get use to it. Put alot of greenery(tall plants) and paint the room with a warm cream or buttery yellow to warm it up some. And then deco with what you have. But it looks great-green with envy here. My boyfriend wants black leather so we're shopping today. He's pretty good at letting me do whatever to our house put that's one thing he does want. I do recommend a jute rug to add to the decor of the room. It's all about texture and color. I've also seem where they put fake palm frons on a ceiling fan and it really looked cool if done right and with the right room so it doesn't stand out so much.

D

On 2003-01-04 01:09, Humuhumu wrote:
I like 'em! How comfortable are they, though?

really comfy! we bought 2 sofas... then went to the antique store and got the 2 HeywoodWakefield chairs.. an expensive day!

Divychick: you're so right about the walls, i have NO sense of color. but i DO know these stark white walls need to have something done to them. do you have a picture of the palm trees you're talking about?

i'm definitely going to have to recover the chairs. is funny. a chair weighs less than ONE of the cushions for it!

i'll take before and after pictures, and let my TC consultants help me redecorate on line!!

elicia

D

Hey-I haven't figured the posting pics yet and don't have a camera second but I see if I can find you one on the web to go look at. And we bought a black leather couch yesterday also-so I need to figure my own decor seen also(hee)around here. Have fun decorating.

Pages: 1 6 replies