Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Question regarding holding smaller logs

Pages: 1 5 replies

I have this small piece of drift wood I'm trying to carve , it's about 16 inches long and maybe 5 inches around , and I'm carving it with regular chisles and my mallet . . . anyhow , what do you guys ( who do smaller stuff , but too big to hold in your hand ) , use to fix something like this to the table / workbench ? Every time I hit this thing with my mallet & chisle , it takes off from me .

thanks !

8T

Get a hook knife set and a kevlar glove to protect your hand.
Do a search for threads discussing the hook knife. Benzart knows just what to get so my advice is to read his advice. Many of us are now using these sets especially the folks who attended the carving seminars. You can also get a table top version of the Black & Decker Work-Mate if you don't think you want to hold the wood. Either way, be careful and post some photos of your work.

I have a miter box that has a catch for the edge of the workbench

If you just made that left edge a V, you could lay the work flat it would not roll or scoot away. Put a cloth so the V won't dent your work.

Sandbags are a good low-tech way to support wierd shaped pieces. Just take an old pair of Levis, cut off the legs, get your old lady to sew up the ends, & fill it with sand. You can pound them into whatever odd shape you want to support the piece.

A-A

B

I have used a piece of formica clamped to the edge of my workbench, and put the sculpture on a piece of foam. You can then butt the sculpture up against the formica while carving, and you've got the freedom to flip your piece over to work on it from the opposite end.

good advice you guys , thanks !

Pages: 1 5 replies