Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Can You Separate the Film/Show from the Director/Actor?

Pages: 1 5 replies

I was debating whether I was going to see Apocolypto, or whether Mel Gibson has spoiled it. He is not in the movie, but maybe I should just read the Jared Diamond chapter instead?

Just when you think there could be no worse example of racism, Michael Richards appears.

I expected so much more from those who society has been so very kind and benevolent to.

It is difficult to separate Mel Gibson from his anti semitic, sexually harassing and self-aggradizing comments:

The report says Gibson told the deputy, "You mother f*r. I'm going to f you." The report also says "Gibson almost continually [sic] threatened me saying he 'owns Malibu' and will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me."

The report says Gibson then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: "F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

The deputy became alarmed as Gibson's tirade escalated, and called ahead for a sergeant to meet them when they arrived at the station. When they arrived, a sergeant began videotaping Gibson, who noticed the camera and then said, "What the f*** do you think you're doing?"

A law enforcement source says Gibson then noticed another female sergeant and yelled, "What do you think you're looking at, sugar tits?"

We're told Gibson took two blood alcohol tests, which were videotaped, and continued saying how "f*d" he was and how he was going to "f" Deputy Mee.

I don't know that I can ever watch a Sienfeld episode again.
I certainly don't believe him when he says he is not a racist.

One has to be a racist to say this:

"Fifty years ago we'd have you upside down with a f***ing fork up your ass."

Richards continued, "You can talk, you can talk, you're brave now motherf**ker. Throw his ass out. He's a nigger! He's a nigger! He's a nigger! A nigger, look, there's a nigger!"

Richards responds by saying, "They're going to arrest me for calling a black man a nigger."

[ Edited by: christiki295 2006-11-24 19:44 ]

...followed by, "That's what happens when you interrupt the white man, don't you know?"

For those who haven't seen the video of MR losing his mind, it's here NSFW

Now that the world is a paparazzi, everyone has a camera phones, celebrities are even more under scrutiny than ever. No longer are the gossip rags repeating nonsense, they now have the smoking gun.

I never really cared for Mel Gibson, I haven't seen anything of his since the Mad Max series. I doubt I would pay to see any of his films regardless of his comments. Since he has made an ass out of himself in a public arena it reinforces my reasons to not like him. Apocalypto seems like it might be the exception to the rule, but I guess I'll wait a year until it appears on HBO or another channel. I know people say stupid things when they are drunk, I have many friends who are Dr Jeckyl/Mr Hyde drunks who don't remember the damage they inflicted on to others the next day.

As for Michael Richards. I don't care what kind of back pedaling he tries I will never look at him the same. If I hadn't seen the video I could easily say maybe it was taken out of context, but to hear the anger and rage in his voice makes me feel like this was way more than taking the joke too far...

[ Edited by: stuff-o-rama 2006-11-27 13:10 ]

A good movie is a good movie.

So what if the creator is a prick?

Same goes for all art forms.

Dali was a pompous dickhead but I still adore his art.

Robert Fripp was an asshole when I met him, but I still love 'Discipline'.

There are thousands of other examples, I am sure.

So what if Mel is a jagoff?

Has nothing to do with his 'art'.

Apocalypto seems like a pretty cool flick.

And cut Mel just a teeny bit of slack - he was hammered at the time he said all that stuff. Let the TC-er who has never babbled some stupid bullshit while loaded on Mai Tais blame Mel, and the rest of us ought to just keep quiet.

Hmmm.... I don't hear anything!
:wink:

Several months ago there was a Celebrity Roast of William Shatner. It was fairly recently after Mel's incident. The Whole show seemed to be Fat Capt. Kirk jokes, and slams at Gibson. He really got drug thru the crap.

What a messed up world we've become where we can't just understand what an ass he made of himself, knowing he has to live with it, and laugh. (thinking to ourselves...at least it wasn't me this time)

Gibson was a drunken ass, and admitted it. I hope he can use that lesson to make something better of himself.

Chris, It's simple, if it bugs you don't watch it. And by not watching, you lodge a protest, however infinitesimal. You are probably not missing anything anyway.

However, it you can't separate the work from the creator then I would suggest you watch nothing produced by the modern entertainment industry. Because I learned through experience that a colossal a$$hole, bordering on or actually evil (and without morals) made major decisions for that piece.

Don't torture yourself-it's not worth it.

Can You Separate the Film/Show from the Director/Actor?

If the work in question is artistically brilliant, nobody hangs prints of Hitlers watercolours on the wall because they are twee and artistically weak, nobody plays the music of Gary glitter because its dated pop gash BUT Roman Polanski technically a nonse but he makes great films, gets an Oscar.

Pages: 1 5 replies