Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: dude!

Pages: 1 11 replies

K
S
squid posted on Sun, Nov 26, 2006 1:03 PM

Holy crap! I'm gonna whittle me up a couple!!! :wink: Baby needs new shoes!

thanks for the link!
A little outside of my budget right now...but the best collection of pics that I have
seen of Kava kava.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Nov 26, 2006 2:03 PM

This guy has been selling a lot of stuff over the last several months, but this is the first one that actually looks old. Definitely a pretty nice piece that would fit perfectly in my christmas stocking!

K

yeah that is one seriously important cultural addition to ANYONE's household...just awesome! gald ya digs!

Whoah! US$10,750 & the reserve hasnt been met yet!!?? How proud would THAT carver feel if he knew? He'd have Mana coming out of his elongated ears...

Tama

D

Seriously! Something that expensive should come with provenances, otherwise its a rip!

Not only is it very disturbing every time I see something that belongs in a museum for sale on ebay but there have been so many reports of stolen items going to ebay,

A rare letter penned by author Lewis Carroll in 1890 recently surfaced on the Internet auction site ebay, where the seller detailed everything from its beautiful signature to its distinctive purple ink.
http://1010wins.com/pages/132484.php?contentType=4&contentId=247114

Who honestly has over $10,000 to spend on a piece of art that the seller claims an Estimated value: $ 70,000.00 - $ 120,000.00 and doesn't list credentials, COA. While he explains WHY they sell these he hasn't given an "exact" background on how and where he acquired it, except in a market in Chile.

This is how stolen antiquities get sold and resold before they are found and then it's nearly impossible to track back to the original thief.
If it was a buyer here in the USA they're not only buying a very expensive item online but from another country, (Chile), where you would have to deal with THEIR laws.
Finally look at the sellers ebay scores:
Seller: a_barahona( 71)

For only 71 transactions that's a pretty poor feedback!

I know I wouldn't send him $10,000 plus dollars! :x

Rather I think Mrs.Mojo and I will plan a trip to Chile to check out the Markets! :D

T
  1. Was the item real???

2. Was the Ebay "auction" for real???

3. Would anyone put done real $$$$ for something they
    couldn't see in person first & been authenticated by experts
    as what it was purported to be???

Thortiki

K

Yeah, what you said,Thortiki!

K

i totally agree

the point is it's a museum piece - it should be the world's - F*UCK ebay

nice carving though - i had to change my diaper when i saw it was for sale

there is a man in Lahaina Maui who owns 2 Meglodon Jaws - one is for sale at $80G but the condition of the sale is that it won't a pay per view item - it has to be free to the public - the irony is that he has it for sale as a photocopy on a wall instead of it being on display in his scrimshaw store - though it is in my opinion the best store on Maui

I only know what I read but in Aku Aku, Thor mentions over and over again how the Easter Island natives carve these things wholesale AND how they tried to pass off newly-carved kava-kavas and stuff to him on several occasions--and they LIKED him. To say it was a cottage industry doesn't start to cover it--I mean half the book was about Thor trying not to get rooked. If somebody carved it in 1950, it's going to look pretty antiqued now. I bet there aren't ten people in the world who could tell you if this thing is old or just carved for the tourists.

Pages: 1 11 replies