Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Wayne County Surf Club Update 12/06/06

Pages: 1 9 replies

Hope you all find this interesting. Here is a picture or Two of my work in progress, tenetively titled The Wayne County Surf Club. I'm a musician, and needed a place to call my own, so I put up a 24x36' building at our place in PA. Then with the invaluable assistance of a contractor friend, we tricked out the interior. Working mostly weekends, it took about a year to complete. I decided against putting running water into the building, but did run heat to it. Alot of the Tiki stuff I got from Benson's, and the wood paneling was local rough cut hemlock. Because it is a music space, put put a layer or two of sound insulation in the walls, so hopefully that will help with the heating as well.

The offical opening was Memorial Day weekend. Here is a picture of the building right after it went up.

Here is a view looking toward the "stage" area...

Here's a picture looking back toward the Bar area.

And of course, when one has a Tiki Lounge, one has to have the proper sort of ride as well.

Most of the furniture and decorations were found at auctions or yard sales, or were items from my grandparent's house. It is quite surprising how many items from the "wild and Swingin'" era turn up at yard sales in the wilds of PA....

[ Edited by: Curse of the Undead 2006-12-06 07:19 ]

C

Nice!!! I think that a Tiki space of your own is the greatest investment! I'm trying it too, I've just posted a pic of it at my thread, tell me what you think...
Congrats on the cars too! Greetings!

Aloha Curse!
I just got back from PA yesterday - my father in law lives in meadville (nearish to Eire) and I did some antiquing and have to say I love the old re-used barn lumber you can find and all the rough-hewn wood that is readilly available. You did a great job on your music space - looks like a good place to chill and play music.

Thanks, polynesiac !
I'm actually in the extreme NE part of PA, quite near the NY border. As for the rough cut wood, I used Hemlock, which is quite inexpensive although somewhat hard to find. It seems the local mills don't like dealing with it because it is too "sappy".
Upon further inspection, these pictures leave out alot of the details, and details are at the heart of any good Tiki Lounge. I'll try to take some better pictures and get them up before too long.

At this stage, there are 2 major things left to do.....build a Tiki Drum Riser, and figure out how to put in a good sized TV. I want to install the TV in such a way as to keep the "Moderness" of the device from disrupting the late 50's-early 60's vibe I'm trying to evoke. With a flat screen, I can hide it behind the bar mirror, or I do have a 50's freestanding TV cabinet that I could put it in, although that limits the TV size....Any other suggestions would be welcome

Here are a few detail pictures to clarify things a bit.

This is the Bar Area. The tall display cabinets were rescued from a house demolition.

here is the 1950's era bowling machine next to the bar

The "Reading" Corner, complete with a collection of hard boiled detective novels and other appropriate reading materials:

The Pinball Corner:

Drapes and other details:

Stage left, with appropriate surf instruments:

Stage right. Note the old school brown Fender Reverb tank. A Must for Surf !

Nipper and a 66 Mosrite Ventures model in Metallic Blue:

This is basically Version 1.0. As time goes by, no doubt many more items will find a home here. Thanks for looking !

F

Can I come live there? By far the coolest place I have seen for a long time. I have to convert my garage come spring. I love the Bowling game, and behind the bar looks incredible. OK It all looks incredible. Can't wait to see more.

MR

WOW! What a great place. It looks very comfortable and inviting. The size of the room makes it perfect. When's the next big event?

T

I wood of put the bar on the other wall seems like you could of put a nice 15 ft bar !!!!!

Nice freaking job !!!!!

Frostiki - sure, you can come live there ! How do you feel about bears ? :)

Matt Reese - I'm hoping to have some bandmates up in Jan. The most satisfying thing about it is when people walk into it for the first time. The look on their faces is priceless... I deliberately DON'T show any pictures to people ahead of time. One friend showed up, saw the place, wordlessly walked past his wife and straight to Pinball machine and proceeded to play pinball and drink Gin nonstop until 4 am !
Something tells me the musicians won't exactly be low key either !

Tikilale - A 15 bar ? hmm....what an interesting thought ! :)

F

As long as they don't maul me, I'm fine with them. I thkn I'll stick with my warmer climate though. I've gotten used to not having winter over the past 10+ years

Pages: 1 9 replies