Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

original mugs from The Rendez-vous

Pages: 1 18 replies

Just looking for some feedback on some new mugs I am currently working on. Plan on selling them soon on ebay. Comments are greatly appreciated!

the headhunter

the headhunter (tribute to ren clark)

the zombie

buried at sea

Very cool mug designs! "The Headhunter" (as intended) looks a lot like the Ren Clark "Severed Head" which is a big favorite for all of us mug collectors. Can't go wrong with that.

I really like your version of "The Zombie." It's a vicious zombie. Most of the other zombie mug designs have faces that look like they're stupefied, but yours looks like he's ready to bite.

The "Buried At Sea" reminds me of Queequeg's Coffin out of Moby Dick...the one that Ishmael uses as a life preserver at the end of the novel. I'd vote for a version with some Maori designs carved on it to go the whole way. Maybe build up the base to look more like some cresting waves that are carrying the coffin along.

Thanks for the pics!

Tom,
Thanks very much for your suggestions and kind words! These are my first sculptures, so I am VERY excited. I definitely plan to implement your idea about building up the waves around the base of the coffin. Again, thank you!

Regards,
The Rendez-vouz Kid

Nice work Kid. :wink:

First time seeing the Zombie and Buried mugs. Looking good! I like the idea suggested of a wave base for the coffin.

May be headed your way Saturday night on the way home from Chicago... hope to see ya.

Hope things are rocking at the bar these days!

I've been busy lately with my little slice of paradise... http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18597&forum=7&start=225&237

awsome, will these be available at the rendezvous as well?...may have to road trip up there again if so....

Yes, the coffin needs the FEATHER carved into it!
I might have mentioned this before, I am a Queequeg fan. Interestingly so, the actor who played him was an expatriate German of noble blood. (Not to detract from the original post, please.)

Hey the mugs are looking great! You know you have to save one of each of them for us to buy!We're your biggest outa state fans! We had a great time up there last tuesday night . One of my all time favorite bars. Good thing we live in Chicago and have to drive a bit or we'd be sitting at the end of the bar every night!
Say hi to the gang for us! Sorry we didn't get to see everybody Tuesday.
E

C

Hey Mike! -
Glad to see you out here on TC!!!!
Feels like forever since we've been in there - we'll be getting our "regulars" status back soon - promise!!
I've been out of town for 2 weeks & I'm flying home today.
Love the coffin mug - can't wait to have one of of your fabulous drinks out of one of those - will there be a signiture drink for each mug?
See you SOON - promise!!!

T

is the head, your head?

I think that your mugs are incredible!!!! Keep up the great work!!!

Mike

Good seeing you last Tuesday.

Sorry we were on our way out by the time you showed up.

The mugs look nice.

See ya' sooner -

Hiya Kid,

Excellent work on all of the designs! :D

It's always great to see new stuff from all our talented Tiki Central Ohana!

The Zombie would really look fantastic finished in a GREEN Glaze!

Buried at Sea is cool but as other posters have said could do with a little more detail that makes it more "Tiki" such as the Maori patterns.

While the Head Hunter is an extremely well crafted mug design I would hate to see Tiki Mugs start to go the way of Imported Carved Tiki where the importers copy of Original Hawaiian designs, that lowers the value of what the REAL Hawaiian Tiki sell for, soon the importers are copying off the importers and you have to question what you buy even in Hawaii now.
We've been trying to work our way out of a lot of the import stuff for that very reason.

The Ren Clark is valuable because it was UNIQUE and RARE and there is already a TRIBUTE Mug out by GECKO and Wendy Cevola. They made their's different with a Maori look and it's HUGE ......like practically life size.....the REAL Ren Clark was pretty tiny.....fits in your hand. Both are still unique NOT copies. :)

Naturally, you can do whatever you want but I think you should keep the Head Hunters for yourself and keep coming up with your own ORIGINAL designs like RUM DEMON has been doing!
That will make a more distinguishing mark for you as a Tiki Mug Designer!

Keep up the Great work!

T

HumuHumu just posted another severed Ren looking head on her site just yesterday. And it looks real close to the original. Did someone say underwater head, thats a good twist on the design.

T

Awesome looking stuff. Keep the pics coming.

those are so good I'm Scared...... Great looking mugs! I would dig having indeed

T

here is a pic of that mug I was talking about. it is found on HumuHumu site Kon-Tiki News. http://blog.humuhumu.com

I guess if I was going to remake a mug that was made, I too would have picked the most wanted and most expensive mug to get.

F

Very cool mugs, I especially like the burried at sea.

Good Job, I wish I were doing ceramics here in California. I hooked up with my buddy Gecko because he does such perfect work. I made copies of the Ren Clark head in clay last year and sold some on eBay. It takes an incredible amount of work to make each - one at a time. If you would like to see the process I went through go to http://www.claytikis.com and you can see all of my art including the Ren Clark. Wendy

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 4:21 PM

wendy, love those bowls. Never saw them before, interesting process that you show but leaves me with a lot of questions. Frankoma Bowl is my favorite.

Pages: 1 18 replies