Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hawaiian Night Marchers

Pages: 1 7 replies

Marchers of the Night, also known as Huaka'i Po and the Night Marchers, are ghost warriors of high rank. They march on certain nights to welcome new warriors or to march to old battle grounds. They permit no disturbances from mortals and if you look into their eyes or stand in their way they take your soul from you and you are dead. It is easy to recognize them for they pound drums, carry torches, chant and their feet don't touch the ground.

Many people say they either saw the Night Marchers' torches or heard their drums. A famous place where the Night Marchers march is along the Pali Highway, a steep highway which runs along the Koolau Mountain range where the famous Kamehameha battle was fought. The old saying is to never go across the Pali Highway at night or else you will experience some weird things such as hearing drums or Hawaiian chanting in your car.

I also have heard of Night Marchers near Black Rock in Ka'anapali, Maui (Sheraton adjacent).

I was actually planning on hanging out along the shore to find out. I understand if they are near, the proper (and life saving?) etiquette is to strip naked and lie face down.

Can this be true?

http://library.thinkquest.org/5191/marchers.htm

Now you are really scaring me! As I said in my other post I keep hearing what sounds like people walking on the roof. And MY husband keeps telling me it is birds or cats. Or cats chasing birds.... Here is my Kaneohe home, nestled in the Koolaus. The roof you see peeking out of the vegetation is over the balcony bedroom and living room area.

On 2006-11-28 00:26, christiki295 wrote:
I understand if they are near, the proper (and life saving?) etiquette is to strip naked and lie face down.
So THAT's what that guy was doing in my back yard after my Halloween party; he was avoiding the Night Marchers!!

P

*On 2006-11-28 00:26, christiki295 wrote:*I understand if they are near, the proper (and life saving?) etiquette is to strip naked and lie face down.

I gotta find me a realistic sounding recording of Hawaiian war drums somewhere. This could be useful.

:)

Fascinating! You should be fine on the Pali Highway as long as you don't have any pork in your car. For some really chilling reading on the subject of Night Marchers and other Hawaiian ghosts, check out Glen Grant's books. The Obake Files is a particularly creepy collection of first-hand-accounts with the islands' supernatural. Have a look. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/104-4380755-1043956?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=obake+files&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Good 'n scary campfire stories!

-Weird Unc

When we were in Hawaii a friend who lived there told us about the equiptment used to construct the Pali highway constantly shutting down and acting strange during the building of it.

Work stoppages and dragging out road projects for years. That's called the Unionism. Unions have been been porking the people of Hawaii for quite awhile.
The real Night Marchers go for L&L Drive-In food. They love the Mac Salad.

TS

I thought that kind of stuff only happened in Scooby Doo?

Pages: 1 7 replies