Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

From carver to quilter

Pages: 1 15 replies

The time has come to make a move from carver to quilter. Yes, my back has finally called it quits :cry:. This girly carver can no longer move those 200 lb. logs around. So, what to do? Well, of course, combine my love of sewing with my love of tiki :D. Here's some pics. Let me know what you think. Should I look for a new hobby????

[ Edited by: girly carver 2006-11-30 10:41 ]

M
mieko posted on Thu, Nov 30, 2006 1:50 PM

That is awesome! I really love how you have both big panels and smaller patterned pieces. I'm also super impressed with the quilting, I love the waves in between the panels.
Very nicely done. I do some sewing myself, and have thought about doing a quilt someday, but I'm way to busy carving right now. :) Maybe I'll join you as an ex-carver sewer in a while. :)

Verklepmt!! It's stunning.

Two questions:

1. Where'd ya get the fabric

2. Machine quilting or hand quilting?

My husband bought me a longarm quilting machine...he loves me and hopes one day I'll make some money! I found the fabric on ebay and bought all that I could find. The manufacturer isn't making the print anymore :cry:. Kudos to you if you can find some!

Have you seen Tifaifai and Quilts of Polynesia by Joyce D. Hammond? isbn#0-8248-0975-0, University of Hawaii Press (1986). Really a wonderful resource, if you can locate a copy. It also has a great bibliography for more resources in the back of the book.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Dec 3, 2006 12:21 PM

If you get serious about your quilting (which it appears you are by the quality of your work) you may want to visit the Cook Islands.
When we were scootering around Rarotonga we saw a tiny sign outside a house advertising tivaevae and cushion covers. Inside we met this wonderful lady, who pulled out several suitcases containing the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen. She has exhibited her work in Germany and the US.
There was also an amazing collection of ukuleles on the table too...some were made rom old aluminium cooking pots,another was made from a coconut shell. Others were beautifully handcarved with Cook Islands motifs. I'm kicking myself for not getting a photo of them.

M

Those are fantastic quilts.
Welcome to Tiki Central.

Dang, GirlyC- That quilt is incredible!! Excellent work- Love all the stitched lines!

Thanks, everyone, for all the positive feedback. I've got more fabric so I think I'll try to get a few made and sell them! TreeTiki Wahine, thanks for the info on the book...I'll definitely be looking for that one.

Paipo, love the quilt! Did you make that??

On 2006-11-30 18:45, girly carver wrote:
I found the fabric on ebay and bought all that I could find. The manufacturer isn't making the print anymore :cry:. Kudos to you if you can find some!

They have this right now at the Alameda Beverly's!

J

On 2007-05-29 00:25, Haole'akamai wrote:

On 2006-11-30 18:45, girly carver wrote:
I found the fabric on ebay and bought all that I could find. The manufacturer isn't making the print anymore :cry:. Kudos to you if you can find some!

They have this right now at the Alameda Beverly's!

Seriously?!? The print with the tiki and Pele? The project possibilities are endless! I might have to pop over there this week! :)

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2007-05-29 00:35 ]

Went by Bev's this AM and they only have about 5 1/2 yards of the Pele fabric left - get the rest of the bolt and you get a 10% discount....

And I was able to find a copy of that book TreeTiki wahine was talking about, Tifaifai and Quilts of Polynesia by Joyce Hammond, online. I'm very excited to crack it open. :)

J

Beverly's in Alameda no longer has any of the Pele fabric ... 'cuz I bought it all!! 5-7/8 yards of it, and they gave me a 25% discount! Hmmm... tote bags, shirts, possiby a lampshade? I'm sure I'll come up with lots of uses for it!

Hey ! Very Cool Quilt. Don't completely give up carving though.
I found this software while searching for some kaleidoscope software for Photographs.
I ended up buying it and using it to quickly create interesting images for different programs I shoot.
It was developed for quilting by quilters and I thought you might find it useful.
It's fun if nothing else!
http://www.kaleidoscopecollections.com

Ummm... feel free NOT to tell anyone I was in here discussing quilting. No offense but it's not exactly...oh, whatever.

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2007-06-27 15:46 ]

Yeah, those are definitely some trippy looks, Bohemiann.... I would definitely strip down and roll myself up in somethin like that. Cool Stuff.

Pages: 1 15 replies