Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Forbidden Island review in the Contra Costa Times

Pages: 1 12 replies

T

I think it's ironic that Martiki always defended Trad'r Sam's when people dissed it, and now that he owns and operates the best new tiki bar ever, someone says this: "The guy from San Francisco said it wasn't as good as Trader Sam's in the Outer Richmond..." :lol:

Read the review here:
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/entertainment/16125600.htm

T

Only good things to say. And some of the good things to happen like get the good seats from a friendly customer and the good looking people are all perks.

It was a nice review. As for the Trader Sams guy, well...he probably lives next door to Trader Sams for all we know. Overall, very nice review!

S

Doesn't sound like they have a lot of love ofr Tradr Sam's.

A good review. Nice that they got it and were ready to pan a "tiki bar" and yet loved it. That's what you want. That's doing it right. Making people like it when they walk in expecting to hate it.

I helps that they liked the people already there. Always a big plus in any business.

What night is cute girl night again?

Swank Blather
- Talkin' atcha

[ Edited by: Swanky 2006-11-30 12:27 ]

...any night Steph works.

B

Aloha,
That's so funny...I used to go to Trad'r Sams over 25 years ago. Used to meet up with my old jock football team buddies from high school...we all went to Washington High up the street. Now don't get me wrong, we had a lot of good times there but that was when I was young enough to power drink...a lot of it is still hazy, coolest thing I thought was you could pick which island you wanted to sit at if you weren't at the bar...but I'm easy to please. Good thing maybe...it was a dive then and still looks like one now, had to drop a few just get past it...only difference is that it's aged and so have the roaches, they used to sell liquor over the counter and there'd always be a few neighborhood alkies and winos coming in for their bottles...quite a crowd.

Kal

T

On 2006-11-30 12:26, Swanky wrote:

What night is cute girl night again?

Every night, now that me and TofuJoe got our pictures in the paper they'll be coming in droves! :wink:

I picked up the print edition last night. There's a small color photo of Haole'akamai on the cover of the Weekend section and a picture of me and TofuJoe inside along with a picture of the large Forbidden Island tiki.

Haole'akamai is all over the web version as well. There's a pic of her on there main home page: http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/ and one of her serving a drink to TofuJoe (click on more pictures link in the review page).

I'll bring some copies into the bar tonight.

Congratulations on the great review!

For those keeping tabs on our shining Tiki Star of Alameda I discovered them also in the December 2006 Sunset Magazine Page 38 under "What to do in Northern California". :D

P.S. Just so you all know I only had a Sunset Magazine because I Like to look at the PICTURES! :P

T
thejab posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 9:03 AM

The same article was also in yesterday's Alameda Journal (a sister paper to the CC Times), which is available all over Alameda this weekend. But this one has a larger full-color picture of me and TofuJoe!

Oh yes, Happy Birthday TofuJoe!

On 2006-12-02 09:03, thejab wrote:
But this one has a larger full-color picture of me and TofuJoe!

Yeah, like half the page!! Great photo BTW!

T
thejab posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 6:22 PM

On 2006-12-02 11:09, Conga Mike wrote:

On 2006-12-02 09:03, thejab wrote:
But this one has a larger full-color picture of me and TofuJoe!

Yeah, like half the page!! Great photo BTW!

Thanks. I look drunk... because I was! Zombie good!

Does anyone else thinks it's funny that I'm a "bartender"? :P

J

On 2006-12-02 22:30, Haole'akamai wrote:
Does anyone else thinks it's funny that I'm a "bartender"? :P

Honey, with your mixology skills, I don't find that funny at all!

Pour on, girl!

Pages: 1 12 replies