Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New tiki , about 6 hours into it

Pages: 1 16 replies

So here's my first one from Buzzy's pile of palm trunks , besides the wee little Moai I did for my friend Mikey . I feel like Iv'e learned a lot on the few I've done recently after the Oki Oki , and this one's going to be nice , I can feel it ! ! !

I've been finding lots of good ways to use my #5 gouge . . . it is rapidly becoming my favorite chisle .
I'm going to leave the hair-do and I think this one will be a full length jobbie , all the way to the ground .

[ Edited by: mike-stobbe 2006-12-01 13:53 ]

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Dec 1, 2006 2:08 PM

Very crisp, I'm a big fan of leaving natural surfaces too. What is the chisel you're talking about...can you post a pic of it?

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Dec 1, 2006 2:11 PM

Very nice! Keep going. Keep posting.

Mahalo

McTiki

Thanks , I will . . . heres what it looks like , it's a shallow sweep #5 gouge . Stubai tools from the fancy land of Austria !

BM

AH--a topic CLOSE to my heart...I have a LOT of opportunities to 'leave the hair on' as it were..how does that effect the FINISHING/STAINING though...doesn't that stuff just ROT off eventually? or do you do something special to it to keep it there? I have a BUNCH of logs I could leave' hair' on if it would stay and not effect the way it lasts--cuz I'll tell you WHAT getting the hair OFF ain't a lot of FUN--a good couple HOURS cuz the logs I have are UNSTRIPPED..would like to hear input cuz if there are some ways to incorporate it I WILL

B
Bowana posted on Fri, Dec 1, 2006 3:05 PM

It's looking good, Mike! Can't wait to get mine going. Keep us posted as you go.

M
mieko posted on Fri, Dec 1, 2006 3:10 PM

Wow Mike, it's looking really good. Very clean lines. How's the moisture on that guy? Pretty wet still or not too bad?

B

Mike-S, Excelent start on that tiki, he is gonna be really nice!

Nice, clean chisel work as well..

R
Reid-O posted on Fri, Dec 1, 2006 5:15 PM

Looks awesome! I'm so envious of you guys carving up the palms! I've been carving tikis for a few years now and still have yet to get my hands(chisels)on some palm. Here in Vancouver it's all cedar, redwood ect. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

C

Real nice work Mike...another fine carver joins the ranks! Also like the lil' chopper in the
background.

B

I love this tiki style.
Indeed, I think that natural is the best.

Ben

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 7:31 AM

Very nice Mike! I will enjoy watching where you go from here. Thanks for posting.

Hey that is a great start!! I am really liking your bike in the backround!!! Is that an old Triumph or Harley??

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2006-12-02 09:35 ]

Thanks for all the kind words , It starts getting more fun when you start to think you know what you're doing !
I'll try and take progress pictures as it comes along . . . I find myself sitting , staring blankly at trees and palms in my neighborhood , wondering about what kind of carving I could do to it . . . !

Also Congatiki , just so you know , the bike is a '56 panhead with shovel heads and a 93" stroker kit . It's a pretty fun little ride . . . like a Scwhinn Stingray with a rocket motor attatched to it . good times .

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 6:02 PM

They don't have to get too much more prettier than that one

On 2006-12-01 15:10, mieko wrote:
Wow Mike, it's looking really good. Very clean lines. How's the moisture on that guy? Pretty wet still or not too bad?

It's still a little moist but it isnt effecting my limited ability at this point . I'm sure if I let it sit for another month or so without the skin on it , it would be a lot better , but I got impatient :)

[ Edited by: mike-stobbe 2006-12-02 18:51 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies