Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Bar Etiquette

Pages: 1 4 replies

D

I was reading some reviews of the Singapore Sling at Raffles and people were bitching and moaning about it was pre-mixed. What I'm wondering is, say if you have a specific recipe for "Zombie" that you want, is it acceptable to give the recipe to the bartener to see if he can do it EXACTLY or do you just roll the dice?

Thanks,
Erik

I think it's all going to be the repore you develope with said bartender.

If you are in "their" bar and set up a friendly working relationship, by all means, whip out your recipe. Just make sure they have the *time *to check it out (even with bartenders you really know, they won't appreciate you handing them a project when they have a hundred other customers looking to get a drink).

If you walk in the door, recipe in hand, demanding as a "know-it-all", you are far more likely to get a chilly reception. That's just plain disrespecting.

D

I agree. My experience has been the same. When I was a bar novice, I would ask for drinks that the bar tender never heard of and they would get rather ticked off. I can only imagine that from their standpoint, it is a waste of time to stand around and try to dictate a drink recipe while you could be mixing and making mor $$ in that amount of time. But, I've asked a few bartenders, who know me as a semi-regular, to mix a few custom drinks and they have no problem with it.

I have had good luck (so far....) with asking a bartender to prepare a simple drink to begin with. I try and start with my current favorite of the Lani-Hony from teh Grog Log. If they are willing to prepare that simple one, they become willing to make me something more complex the next time I am in and seem to enjoy the challendge of it. I also tip very well for 'custom' drinks and that makes a big difference.

The real answer to your question is how/when/who you are asking to make you a drink. The bartender, by default, is there to make you a drink. If you like your drink a certain way or with specific ingredients they should be willing to oblige. You, on the other hand, are not the only drinker in the place. Asking a very busy bar for a very complex drink is not going to get you very far.

T

TIKI DRINKS @ NON TIKI BARS

Good luck! Even at places that call themselves a "Tiki" bar will not make Tiki drinks even upon request.
Sometimes it comes down to inexperienced bartenders or my boss hasn't cost factored in the liquor to make
a Zombie line. Try the Zombie Test next time your out to see what response you get???

Thortiki

Tryed the Zombie Test @ a hotel in Washington DC it wasn't on the list, but the barteneder said NO problem
mixed me one & it was lethal ZOWIE!!!

Pages: 1 4 replies