Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

ikitnrev in SF - tonight (Dec 4) only!

Pages: 1 5 replies

I

This offer good for the evening of Monday, December 4 only.

Due to unexpected mechanical difficulties and delays with the airline I am traveling on, I have an unexpected one night layover at the S.F. airport.... with no rental car. I am open for providing a mai-tai and other tropical cocktail drinking companion for one night only - if you are willing to rescue me from the confines of my mainstream hotel.

If you are interested, and can provide transportation for the night, and are interested in heading off to Trader Vics or Forbidden Island (I haven't been to the latter) I will buy you a drink or two, and be forever grateful for your kindness and generosity, not to mention your ability to alter your schedule on extremely short notice.

I am staying at the Sheraton Gateway (right next to the Bay, near the airport) (600 Aiport Boulevard) Telephone (650) 340 8500
I have already discovered that the hotel bar serves their own mai-tai recipe, which was kind of tasty, but I would really prefer to consume a drink in a true tiki setting.

Unfortunately, I do not have my suitcase with me tonight, so I cannot wear festive tropical shirts or any tiki pendants.

keeping my fingers crossed,

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev 2013-04-01 11:14 ]

CL

Vern,

Alas, sadly, Forbidden Island is closed on Mondays. Mai Tai and I are both under the weather tonight, so we won't be able to join you.

I can offer a suggestion though. If you wish to visit Trader Vic's San Francisco, simply jump on the BART train from the airport. Take it to Civic Center (I believe that's the exit -- check with your concierge or TV) and walk 3 blocks to Trader Vics. Trader Vic's closes at 10:15 ish and BART stops running at midnight or so. Hope your evening is pleasant.

Best regards,
CL

T

Hey Vern... Good meeting you!

And while we didn't get to Forbidden Island or even Martini Monkey, we did get to the Expedia Cafe on sadly its last day of business.

Yes, the little planes and exotic map bar are gone, but Vern, Haole'Akamai, HumuHumu, Hanford and I held down the fort forcing the workmen to wait while we drank one last beer in its honor.

Expedia is gone, but we'll always have our memories.
Long live bits and bytes.

LOL! - I am positive that the head boss would have given us that Expedia cartograph bar top, if we had said we wanted it....

Anyhoo, I was good to drive around with you, Ikitnrev. And we did get to see all the neat Paupau New Guinea stuff at the Palo Alto TV.

We might have to take a trip out to visit our Washington, DC Ohana.

T

Cor blimey! I didn't see your post until now. Next time send me a PM OK?

I

Thanks go out to Haoleakamai and TofuJoe for picking me up and driving to Trader Vics. Although the time together was short, I did have a good time, and I can now say that I visited all 3 Trader Vics in the greater S.F. area.

My initial plans called for only a 2 hour layover in S.F., and while on the plane, I was somewhat frustrated to read how United Airlines serves Trader Vics mai-tais only on their flights to and from Hawaii. It was very nice to have a turn of events, and to later that night being able to enjoy an unexpected mai-tai in a real Trader Vics.

Thanks also go to Humumu and Hanford for also showing up on short notice, and to CocoLoco for her travel suggestions.

My apologies to Unga Bunga and others for the extremely short notice. Unfortunately, I do not carry a laptop, and was forced to use the hotel business center PC - at 40 cents a minute - to send my general tiki S.O.S. out.

By the way, the Sheraton has their own version of a mai-tai, called the Riotai, which is their bartender Marios secret recipe. It looked nice, and was a welcome taste after a long flight, but I definitely stil prefer the T.V. recipe.

over and out,

Vern

Pages: 1 5 replies