Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Trader Vics "Aloha" Coconut Question

Pages: 1 22 replies

I just found a Trader Vics coconut at the thrift the other day. This one says "Since 1934" underneath the "Trader Vics" on the side. I've never seen one like this. Anyone have any info?
Mahalo
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2003-01-04 22:59 ]

D

interesting, i got one of those too.. in your neighborhood ~ the salvation army store on El Camino

i dont know the history either, but i like the mug (and the price! 75 cents)

elicia

I have one of those, too. A buddy of mine bought it from the Beverly Hills TVs' for 3 bucks many months ago.

Hmmm... So they are a newer version of the mug... I guess?

A

I think this mug is from the 50th anniversary of TV. I may be wrong, but, I remember seeing some some add that had that mug on it, 1934-1984: 50 years of TV. I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have info on this?.

I don't have the 50th anniversary coconut mug but I do have the "Since 1934" coconut mug with "Aloha" in raised letters. I got it at Hilo Hattie sometime last year. They were pre-packaged with TV's Mai Tai Mix and some swizzle sticks. I don't think this mug is rare at all. As a matter of fact, these are still given away as the take-home mug at the Trader Vic's in Emeryville.

What Polynesian Pop just described are take-home mugs from the bar, complementary with the order of a Kamaaina.

-W.U.T.

T
T

I have a boxful of these from early 1990s thrifting.

When I checked in, the same guy was the high bidder on most of the above auctions, so he's either a bit obsessive, or a shill.

B

I think he is a shill, now that I have learned what they are the hard way. He may be involved with Luke87780. Check out the bidding war:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3973427816&rd=1
Both Luke and Donaloha were not big tiki buyers. Luke87780 has only been on Ebay since January 25th and has anout 14 feedbacks.
The attraction is that the mug is in the Tiki Quest on page 108 I believe. The plain TV coconut mugs are not shown in there, giving the mug a air of authenticity. Additionally, the story in the first mug shown indicates some connection to Trader Vic's son, which is supposed to date it.
Hey tikibars, would you care to sell me one? or, and one who happens to live near a TV? Benehune

[ Edited by: Benehune on 2005-05-07 10:42 ]

[ Edited by: Benehune on 2005-05-07 10:45 ]

M

I can't vouch for any of the other sellers, but the coconut with story of meeting Vic's son was mine. It's worth a lot to me personally, but why somebody else would pay what they would for it, is their own story. I can guarantee you I didn't work with any shills and all my auctions are 100% on the level.

T

Manehune, sorry, I didn't mean to imply any improper behavior on your part. I was just shocked when I saw these auctions and was wondering if any TCer had an explanation for this extremely common mug going for $100. I mean seriously, the Leilani is probably more rare!

Anyway, congratulations on an awesome sale!

M

No harm, no foul. I didn't take it personally, but I thought I should at least state for the record that my auctions honest and on the level. Have a great day! :)

B

Hey Manehune, I'm also sorry to suggest that you misrepresented your product in any way. I guess Donaloha is just someone on a mission with bucket of cash. You have to admit that the explosion of Aloha coconut mugs is odd. I guess people who were holding on to them saw your auction and wanted to jump in while it was hot. It just looks funny. I haven't seen this mug for a while and now there are more than ten out there. I would love to know how to tell which are the old ones. Any idea Manehune? Aloha, Benehune

Edited:
I'm not calling you out, but I did read some of your earlier posts in which there was some question as to whom you had actually met at TV's, putting the date in question. It doesn't really matter, because the mug was important to you. If you read my very first post you will see that I bought a couple of tiki's that a lot of people thought were a waste of money. I now have the smaller one next to my bed and I get great satisfaction and inspiration from it every day. I paid a lot, but I love it: put a price on that.

[ Edited by: Benehune on 2005-05-09 20:07 ]

I've got two Trader Vics Aloha Coconut mugs on Ebay right now...I figure if someone's willing to pay $$$, then I'll part with em! And yes, I know they were drank from in Beverly Hills....(If that counts for a story!)
Soccertiki

RR

I could drive down to the Beverly Hills TV, order dinner and a couple of drinks in those same mugs and still be cheeper than the $102.50 they are selling for now.

M

Benehune, I appreciate that you edited your message, but it's ok - I have nothing to hide.

1.) In June 2003 I posted on this board saying how happy I was to have finally gone to all of the TVs in the US.

2.) In that message I mentioned that I had met "Mr. Bergeron" while I was there. Later in that same thread I clarified that I had been told the gentleman I met was "Vic's son".

3.)Through several message, other posters politely discouraged the idea that I had met Vic's son and suggested that if there were any validity to this story, I probably met his grandson, Peter Seeley.

4.) I acknowledged that I could have been mistaken, but the waitstaff were the ones who told me it was "Mr. Bergeron."

5.) In the years since I have received an email confirmation from Sven Koch, VP of Operations for the restaurants that infact, Vic's son, Lyn Bergeron, is still quite alive and often spends time in some type of public relations role at the Emeryville restaurant. I have, tonight called the Emeryville restaurant and again confirmed with the manager that "yes" Mr. Lyn Bergeron, Vic's son, was often at that restaurant in past few years.

6.) I did mention meeting Mr. Bergeron in my ebay listing and that mug did come from that encounter, making it special, at least to me. I did not in any way claim that the mug was vintage. I did not mention the "1934" on the mug or claim it was from that date or any other time specifically. I was not attempting to be vague, or misleading in ANY WAY. I met the man and I got the mug. To me it was worth well over a hundred dollars, yet my starting price was only $5.99. Am I happy that somebody paid $102.50 for it? You bet I am! Did I do anything even remotely questionable? NO WAY!

7.) Below is the headline and text from my ebay posting:

Tiki, Trader Vic's, Atomic Age Coconut Mug

Here is a very nice rare Trader Vic's Tiki Mug from the Emeryville location. Vic's son, "Mr. Bergeron" was there the day I got this - very special. No chips or cracks. Great tropic tropical island luau cocktail lounge ceramic collectible. Perfect condition. Liquor saloon restaurant tavern related collectible. Winner pays s/h. If you have any questions, just let ask! Good luck!!

-Next question or comment.

B

Hey, I am happy for you. You really should have called the restaurant back when all the TCer's were originally inquiring about your meeting. That way no one would have drawn any false conclusions. You did end the thread saying, "I guess that means I was being put on." I am glad you followed up on it. Now, let me buy you some menehune juice. Aloha, Benehune

Well, sometimes the tiki laughs with you and sometimes the tiki laughs at you. Yes, my Trader Vic's coconut brought in $102.50 and made a lot of people question the mug's true value. Now I've got a second mug up, the companion to the first and there is not a single bidder.

"He who thinks himself wise, O heavens! is a great fool."

• Voltaire
B

Hey, even if your mug pulls in just a little, when you average the two you have still done well. In fact, you should buy the second round. Benehune

M

That sounds like a fair deal. Where in Texas are you?

Manehune, I live in San Antonio (AKA, thrift shop hell). If you ever make it down this way we can put you up. Our son ends up in our room any way. We have some great Mexican food, and because of all of the military bases, we also have great Thai and Korean food. I would love to hear about all of the TV's you have been to. I grew up at the Denver TV. We would stay at the Brown Palace Hotel and go around the corner to TV's. All throughout the 70's that was my favorite thing to do. I think we probably have a lot in common. I have been working on my Mai Tai/Menehune juice recipe and have almost perfected it. Let me kow if you are ever in town. Aloha, Benehune

M

Beneune, thanks for the invitation, next time I'm out that way, II'll definately look you up - you sound like good people. On a side note, I'm leaving NYC for the wide open spaces of Birmingham, Alabama - I don't know what the tiki scene is like there, but Ihear they have lots of yard sales, so it may be ok. If you're ever in "the heart of Dixie" :wink: let me know and we'll be glad to put you up. Take care and Aloha.

Pages: 1 22 replies