Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

what to put in a decanter

Pages: 1 8 replies

Just got my first decanter. Suffering Bastard by Tiki Farm. Looks killer on the bar, now what to fill it with? Will most liquors keep well in a cork top decanter? Thought it would be cool to forbidden ingredients from the mysterious tiki and wow new guest to the lounge. thanks

P

I got a decanter in Russia once that had some crematorial ashes in it.

Now THAT's a Suffering Bastard.

On 2006-12-06 12:09, pablus wrote:

Looks kinda like nutmeg sprinkled in your drink

T

I would think that a cork top would be as good of a seal as any wine bottles.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 5:44 PM

My brother had rum in a petrol pump decanter. He found all the alcohol evaporated (dont think it seals real well), so he was left with basically rum flavoured cordial. I dont think you'd have this problem with a nice cork sealed decanter though.

Actually, why is the rum sitting around long enough for that to happen anyway? :)

R

I have many decanters and find they work well for generic liquors, as your not wanting to show them off like a good bottle of rum anyway. I also make some of my liquors in them such as cherry brandy and coconut rum, which also works well. The only problems I've encountered with decanters is that some do not hold and don't really seem to have been made to hold liquid well. Even some that previously held booze in them* will leak throught the ceramic and bleed out throught the glaze or more often through the bottom. Lucky for you though of the 2 Suffering Bastards I have and the green Mai Kai from Tiki Farm this has not been a problem. :wink:

*like a green Maya Princess Kahlua decanter

Besides the HUNDREDS OF YEARS that wines and most spirits have been bottled and sealed with a cork without ill effects my costly Pyrat Rum XO Reserve actually comes with a cork in the bottle!

I also have one of those Petrol Pump Decanters, which is a little different form the ones in question, it's more of a dispenser for laughs....I like to fill mine with Absinthe to serve at partys...we empty it in the same night! :D

If you're really concerned with liquors that you have that sit for awhile between uses I use a preserving spray for my Port Wines, and Expensive Rum's and Cognac's.
http://www.wineenthusiast.com/E/results.asp?Ntt=wine+preservation&N=0&Ntk=Product&Nty=1&uid=2921D305-3725-4383-96D1-A8CA4D6A11FA&AfID=GGL

On 2006-12-06 12:09, pablus wrote:

Rock on!!

UT

Kinda off my own subject of decanters but with all the talk about ashes how about someone put out a large tiki funeral urn? For those who want to travel to the ancestors in high style. Would be great to have the loved one down in the lounge adding to the atmosphere. Just a thought.

Pages: 1 8 replies