Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What's new? an old documentary.

Pages: 1 3 replies

MN

Since Tower Records is almost GONE and I a consumer I bought lots of stuff.

I picked up several DVDs hoping for tikiness. I found "GOW the Killer...A Voyage to the Heart of Darkness." Pretty campy name. I seriously doubt it is the original name. It is a 1928 doc about all (or about all) of the South Pacific islands. Some names just learned tonight.
It is in, duh, black & white. Narration is good. Not terribly demeaning (for 1928). People making the film were, of course, trading for tapa clothes and war clubs.

I learned lots about the Marquesans, Samoans, Fijians.
The main selling point of the DVD is..."Fierce Head-Hunting Cannibal Tribes!" and "Macabre Rituals of Sex and Death!" Howver, there wasn't really that much of that. Just good documentation for 1928.
The DVD is at https://tikicentral.com/uploads/4734/4577951a.jpg. I think I paid $3 or $4 at Tower.

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2006-12-06 20:14 ]

MR

That sounds cool. I've noticed allot of "B" movie stuff is out there that touches on tiki but it's hard to know which are worth getting. Do we have a thread that just covers movies for background effect? I know Pagan Island is pretty good without sound. Something Weird Video has a huge assortment of stuff but I don't usually have the money to buy every title I see in the hopes of it being cool for the bar. I know we have a thread that covers Tikis In Film. That tends to mention any tiki or tiki location that appears. I'd like to have some reference to all encompassing films that give off the desired vibe. Monkeyman get goin' on that film of yours.....we're all dying to see it.
Cheers.

A

Was there actually sound or was it silent? 1928 was the first year for sound, I believe, so that would be fairly unusual, wouldn't it?

MN

On 2006-12-07 13:36, arriano wrote:
Was there actually sound or was it silent? 1928 was the first year for sound, I believe, so that would be fairly unusual, wouldn't it?

There was NO sound WITH the video. It WAS narrated and there was an audio portion that was synced with the pygmy wedding dance.

Pages: 1 3 replies