Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Any advice for a beginner carver?

Pages: 1 12 replies

Hey, Matt here.

I've been sort of an off and on whittler for the past year and I'd like to get more into it in the near future. I'd, of course, really be into doing some Tikis. I do have one Tikigawd, a tiny thing for my desk, but I'd like to spread my wings.

Does anyone have advice on source materials, what kind of woods to use (I've been using basswook, a whittler's best friend) or how big I should start with?

Anything?

Bee Alert...arrive unhurt...If you're working with razor sharp chisels, watch what you're doing and be careful. I put one through my finger today and it cost me a trip to the E.R. for some stitches. Felt like a damned fool...

You betcha, youno
ChikiTiki always says start with clay, soz you have a guide line. And be careful of the power tools they never say I'm sorry.

Sorry about that Basement Kahuna, I had this picture in my mindfor the past few days of a chisel getting too personal with a finger. I must have put the WHAMMY on you! As for carving, just do it, as you go , you will figure out all the little tricks, I'm self taught and feel that I'm just taking my first steps.Just carve relaxed and carve to please and enjoy youself.

T

This is a pic CC Rider sent me. I posted it on my site as a safety warning to all us new carvers.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/chrisbannister/tooltime.htm

As someone who has once drilled into his own hand, I am well aware of how safety proceedures should be adhered to. How about the type of wood, and the size? Any advice on that front?

BTW, Tenth Post! Woo Hoo!!! TikiCentralite, here I come!

NEVER, EVER have a chisel in each hand...one at a time at all times. That is what happened to me, wasting out some rough corners. Had a 1/4 inch shallow palm gouge in one hand and a big 1 1/2 incher in the other. You take for granted how many times your hands cross each other doing anything. Pulled the small chisel out of a groove, swung up, and BAM.. deep into index finger..Did you know human fat looks just like chicken fat?

Here's a less shivery tip....Ever lose wood?I keep a tube of super glue gel around. Bonds wood as fast as skin, and often stronger than the wood itself. Incredible stuff. Keeps carving mistakes at bay and saves many a project..

I think any kind of softer wood is good. Maybe a small log, 8" diameter and 3' tall? Are you gonna chainsaw this or mallet/chisel it. Draw it out on the log and take off a little at a time.

D

oh gads, you should have posted a "queazy warning" on the page!

elicia

I propose a medal for any carver that recieves an injury in the line of tiki...

I agree.

We should totally start handing out Bamboo Hearts to those who valiently took one in the name of Tiki.

Had to add to this from recent discoveries...if you are carving a green log (easier to carve green and finish later) buy a can of pruning seal and seal both cut ends of the log prior to starting. Fast drying is what causes bad cracks and splits. A log displaces most of it's moisture from the cut ends and a very small fraction from the sides. By sealing it up you are really slowing the drying process...and forcing the log to wick it's moisture from the sides...a good thing...a very good thing.

Pages: 1 12 replies