Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

mike stobbe's tikis

Pages: 1 19 replies

okay I'm going to be posting here in this thread whenever I get a new one done . This is the latest , and I stained it and sanded it to get a fancy finish . Anyhow I don't know if I like it the way it is . I am fighting myself to burn it and sand it again . . . I think I want it to be darker and more ancient looking . anyone for or against , either or ? ? ?

M

Mike, Leave it as is. Move on to the next one. (lookin real good by the way)

Mahalo

McTiki

Oh, VERY nice! :)

Personally, i'm a fan of Bisque Unglazed Tiki Mugs, and this reminds me of them, so i like it just the way it is!

B

WOW! LEave it the way it is, You have a Very nice Tiki there. Perfect as it is, that way you wot't be yearning for "the Way it was".

Tough getting good results burning and torching after you've stained it... at least with the hardwoods I do. The petroleum products in the stain flare up and burn irregularly and make a mess. Tried it many times before.

Carving looks really good and clean, though I'm curious as to why such a salmon color for stain? I really like the sanding you did, gives it a nice aged look.

yeah , salmon . . . . ugh
It's actually more reddish than salmon , but it does look a little salmony . . .

It was some clear stain I had , left over from a fence I did in my front yard . I added a little red stain into it to darken it up, and that's how it turned out . I guess with time and age it will do something , I hope . Maybe darken up a little , or something .

Time will tell .

Thanks for the kind words everyone !

Onwards to the next tiki . . .

lemme fink about this..... i would burn it! but i do agree that its rad the way it is! or maybe get a little bit darker of a stain for the deeper areas if it may kill it to set it on fire for a minute! either way it makes me fink about stuff. i need to come over and finish mine this week! maybe tonight! by the way ripping dinner last night at zee bali hai, always a great meal!

I agree with Ben. This guy can carve! Nice, even chisel texture, too.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 12, 2006 4:27 AM

Mike,

Seeing as you have a sweet chisel finish, I would try for a finish like Marcus does - with a black layer partially sanded off and a dark stain on top of that. That will add several hundred years to him quick! I'm not sure how he does it (although I do have some ideas :wink: ). Send him a PM and maybe he'll walk you through it. I think that is your best bet.

yeah that sounds like a good idea , I think I should have gotten something other than a " red wood " stain . I'll mess with it a little more once it sits out for a while , maybe a darker stain and a little more sanding .

I don't know, at first I didn't like the red color but it's starting to grow on me. Hell, just carve another one and stain the new one different. Nothing wrong with a little variation.

Awesome tiki. Solid work.

On 2006-12-13 11:37, Matt Reese wrote:
exactly what I was thinking . . .

I don't suppose having too many tikis would be a problem ?!?

[ Edited by: mike-stobbe 2006-12-13 13:28 ]

T

I like the color, its different in a good way. I have only one thing that I noticed, the head design reminds me of another artists work. Can't put my finger on it. The head and the body are just a hair different. The body is more angler and the head features are more round. Is this usually common and I just noticed, I'm not a carver so. But certainly one of the best I've seen.

I used a mug image that I swiped off ebay to lay out the face , that might be what you're seeing . It was actually a pretty comon / well known mug too I think . Good eye !

I'm still not good enough to figure out all those shapes & contours in my own head , so I " borrowed " a little from here & there . The body is all mine though .

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 13, 2006 5:38 PM

I reckon get a darker shade of the same colour and paint it, then sand it back, so its deep maroon in the crevices, but the current colour on the exposed surfaces. Nice carving by the way :)

C

Cool carving! I like the color too! Congrats!

Mike, your carving skills are way up there! I dig the "Escher" style chest on this one. Hope to hook up with you at one of these Chop-Chops maybe next year.

A-A

B

That's a right rockin' carving! I like how the stain makes the faceting show up. Nice work!

I remember Mike Stobbe just learning how to tattoo back in the day. Drawing on the faces of those unfortunate enough to fall asleep at one of the many Nightstalker Scooter Club clubhouse parties. In indelible ink marker! heheheh.

Him and the "Stobbe" Stalkers craming into one of my room jam parties... 35 people into a 8x10 foot room.....

etc etc etc...

Talented artist, and heck of a guy...

Pages: 1 19 replies