Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Carvers dig this! Caution-not tiki

Pages: 1 11 replies

Just wanted to bring this carving to your attention. I found this while researching
Tlingit/Haida and Pacific Coast Indian carvings...it blows me away! I have been thinking of
doing some PC totem carvings cuz the images of raven/beaver/etc would be more popular in
Northern Wis...and i might be able to sell something!
For your viewing pleasure..."Raven and the First Men."
http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Haida/java/english/art/image_art68.html

[ Edited by: congatiki 2006-12-13 18:31 ]

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Dec 13, 2006 7:03 PM

Conga,

Northern carvers should be able to sell the heck out of bird decoys and vintage looking fish decoys (used for ice fishing a long time ago). I imagine the Native American and Inuit carvings would be popular as well.

Did you know that this carver reproduced this very piece on MASSIVE & Netsuke size..?? Ive seen a picture with him standing in front of the biggie, holding the littley... Cant for the life of me remember where I saw it, doh!

Not sure which this is???

Tama

H
hewey posted on Thu, Dec 14, 2006 6:47 PM

Thats awesome! Thanks

Aloha Conga.
I'm diggin' these kinds of carvings too. They are incredibly beautiful. I was up in Portland in June and visited a museum with plenty Pacific Northwest carvings and art. Still kickin' myself for not buying one of there related books. I figured I could get one down here for cheaper. There aren't any here. Guess I'll have to get one from Amazon.
Thanks for reminding me.

Bill Reid is a very well known artist in Canada. Several of his works are depicted on the 20 dollar bill including Spirit of Haida Gwaii which is installed outside the Canadian Embassy in Washington D.C.

conga - thanks for the link. that carving is excellent. Thats crazy to think how big one version is!!!

I also love the carvings of the Northwest, and I think you would do well monetarily if you decided to carve a few. I've been asked down here in so cal to carve some, so I would imagine there would be a lot more people near you who would be interested.

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-12-16 08:02 ]

Hi...I thought this carving was very cool...glad it has generated some response. There
are some other great NW Indian carvings at http://www.alaskanativeartists.com.

You're right Polynesiac, the Northwoods of Wisconsin is filled with hunting shacks and
log cabins where some bird/animal carvings would fit right in. I recently did a carving
demo at a local woodproducts company event and people were impressed with my work but a
little bit confused. One lady actually brought the bible into the discussion and suggested
that I be very careful carving false gods. I think ravens/other animals would do pretty
well. But I LOVE carving tikis...so who knows.

One lady actually brought the bible into the discussion and suggested
that I be very careful carving false gods.

I would ask her , "Who said they were false gods?" Sounds like she's passing judgement. naughty naughty.

(edited to correct spelling)

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-12-16 13:23 ]

JT--I started to get ticked off at her for being judgemental but she assured me that she was
just concerned for my well-being, since she believed in spirits and thought they might come
after me. I've been waiting for something to happen but, unfortunately, I wait on...and
on...

On 2006-12-16 14:51, congatiki wrote:
she believed in spirits and thought they might come
after me.

I, for one, like spirits!

Right on, I'm with finkdaddy.
Tell her she should watch out for her own spirits (liquor cabinet).

edited to correct spelling again dangit

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-12-16 16:31 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies